Profile picture for luke27617

Preparing home for sale

I have a townhome coming of long term lease in Carmel, IN and I am planning to put on the market to sale.   I will be replacing all carpets, puting fresh coat of poly on wood floors and repainting walls.   I have a lot of white trims and accents and kitchen with white cabinets. 
What is the latest recommended color to paint interior with?   Keep the same color throughout the house (bedrooms, living area, bathrooms, kitchen) or mix it up a little?

March 10 2012 - Carmel

A dramatic or bold color may be too much for some buyers, even on just one wall.   Plain white in every room is too boring and sterile. I suggest paint colors with just a hint of color to give the room some interest, BUT keep the colors very, very pale. With white cabinets, a very light yellow is nice and cheery.  The rest of the house paint in a light ecru or off white.  For the master bedroom, I suggest a very pale blue or pale green.  When you select the color, pick an even paler version of the color just to be safe.  Again, go for just a whisper of color.  This will please all buyers. 

If I were buying a house today that had been freshly painted, I'd prefer the paint be a pale neutral, perhaps a cream or an ecru.  I'd not go with a hint of color anywhere except for perhaps a kitchen and/or bathroom.  Forget color in the bedrooms because that may make repainting an emergency.

While those may not be my favorite colors for long term, the advantage is that I can move in and take my time getting to know the house and light to figure out the right colors for me.  

When we moved into this house, we had a couple of "color emergencies".  There was the hot pink/bright orange migraine room, as well as the black teenager room (even the inside of the closet).   Should I ever buy again, I would request some painting subsidies as part of the purchase offer (five coats of primer was not fun.)  I have a new perspective on "it is just paint, no big deal").

I would do as the others stated. A neutral color is best and most people will leave it alone. Painting is not fun, nor cheap depending on the color. No need to have your unit stand out due to walls being a different color; the rest of the home should do the talking.

Profile picture for luke27617
Thanks for all feedback.  

I too have to agree with most of the other comments.  I would go neutral colors, like the cream or beige color groups.  These are pleasing to the eye and go with most decor.  They buyer can always add their personal touches once the have purchased the home.  If there are dark colors, these can be quite expensive to cover up with having to primer and all!  Keep it simple and fresh!

I agree, neutral is the key.  The ecru color or something close to it is best.  I suggest using the same color throughout.

Suggestion - don't do this!

Neutral is the only way.  light earthy colors and very light is best.  Buyers always love good light earthy fresh paint.  Bold is bad.... Light earthy colors will look wonderful against your white trim.  Good luck!   Tis the season to sell!
Shannon Thomas Realtor
msWoods Real Estate, LLC
[website deleted by Zillow moderator.  Please see our Good Neighbor Policy for posting guidelines]

Yes, keep the color neutral but it gets alittle boring to have every room the same exact color. A light yellow/gold color in the kitchen is very neutral and will help your white cabinets "pop" against it. You can vary the tan or beige  color by just a shade up or down for a tone on tone look.
Good luck...you are doing the right things to make your home even more appealing to buyers.  

Here's a valid marketing concept;
Estimate a cost to do all the work. The list it as a 'fixer-upper' for that much less. You will save a lot of time, brain damage and money - and end up with the same dollars in the end.
People are looking for 'fixers' and if yours just needs the lipstick work then they will think it's a great deal.

I have found that neutral colors are the best. Depending on the color of carpeting...if browns then paint beige/off white color....if greys or creams then the in color would be a light grey with the white trim. For a townhome, folks will not necessarily want to do anything, therefore move in ready and also, "Cute Sells",

I have seen the term 'neutral' in a lot of these posts, the term I use when
suggesting paint is 'earth tones' I have used them a lot in designing or re-designing spaces for clients and they love them.

I think all beige is boring and is one step above of painting everything white..which to me shows nothing to compliment trim work, furnisher, flooring, cabinetry ... etc. Earth tones do. 

They are still in the 'neutral family but with a shade of color, painting the entire house the same color is also boring. You don't have to do that, there are plenty of earth tone colors that play very well with each other and transition easily.

I would...instead of going to the paint dept. and pick up a bunch of swatches or cards, go to a book place ( depends on where you live but lowes has a big selection) of design idea books showing color and how to use them.

You may even think of something else besides carpet for the floor covering, just because you have it now doesn't mean you have to replace it with carpet.
There are a lot of great products out there that would be more appealing than carpet.
-Joseph-

You will reap the rewards of getting this property "market ready".  The poly on the floors is a huge step towards making the property stand out in the crowd.  Nothing screams "new" like freshly refinished floors.

Good luck with the sale.

As a Carmel Real Estate Specialist, with our office being located in Downtown Carmel in the Indiana Design Center, we list and sell many homes in the Carmel area.   I always recommend either doing beige with white trim, or gray with white trim.   Do the entire the house the same color and stage the home to get the maximum price.  Good luck and contact me if you have questions or concerns with the Carmel, Indiana market or visit us at www.DealwithNeal.com for more advice.

Sincerely,

Andrew Neal
RE/MAX Ability Plus
The Andrew Neal Group
Award Winning Realtor
317-371-8133
www.DealwithNeal.com

These are great colors when selling a home neutral enough, but not boring old white or cream!

Greys, Beiges, Whites!!!

I help clients update their homes 12-15 times a year. We usually go with a Sherwin Williams color "kilim beige." It's more than a whisper, but still a very light neutral shade that creates good contrast with a nice clean, fresh white trim. I settled on this shade of beige because it doesn't look pink or peach in certain lighting and with certain floorings. Nothing wrong with a splash of color here or there, but in this market you can lose a sale just because of the "wrong"room color. The beige is safe. And here's an extra something to make sure you do: Have your switches, sockets and covers all white if your trim is white. So much fresher and cleaner. And paint those dingy ceiling AC registers while you are at it.

Keep it simple but do break up colors a little nothing crazy or bold .

tan throughout...with white accents like baseboards and crown molding.  Keep it neutral to cast the widest net for taste.  there is a reason that model homes keep it neutral with blues, grays, and tans. 

Since I started selling Real Estate 8 years ago, the best way to paint your home is with all beige walls with white trim.  In the past year, Grey has become the color of choice in Carmel, Indiana my area of expertise.  Make sure the trim is white and walls grey. Also consider staging to maximize the sales price.

Preparing home for sale
Profile picture for Andrew  Neal
Latest reply by Andrew Neal

1. 13011 Fawnsbrook Dr, Fishers, IN Home For Sale
    13011 Fawnsbrook Dr, Fishers, IN 46038

2. 12810 Ashworth St, Carmel, IN Home For Sale
    12810 Ashworth St, Carmel, IN 46032

3. 1032 3rd Ave NW, Carmel, IN Home For Sale
    1032 3rd Ave NW, Carmel, IN 46032