Profile picture for zebraceo

Principal/Rental - 8K FTHB Tax Credit

I'm currently single and do not qualify for the tax credit due to the 2008 income restrictions.  However, my girlfriend does qualify for 100% of the credit based on her income.  We're evaluating our options to take advantage of the tax credits prior to getting married and have a few questions. 
Option 1: Purchase home together in 2009 – she applies credit to 2008 tax return
If we purchased a home together in 2009, assuming that I'm above the 2008 phased out income limit, would she be eligible for 100% of the $8K credit if her income is below $75K? 

Option 2: Girlfriend (only) purchases townhouse - takes deduction on 2008 tax return - I defer compensation in 2009 to ensure I qualify for the credit based on 2009 MAGI – I (only) purchase home @ end of 2009..
-Can I qualify based on 2009 MAGI or is it only on 2008 MAGI?
-She'll purchase as principal residence, however I may purchase a home @ the end of 2009 while we're still not married. It's my understanding that to avoid refunding the credit, the home cannot be "sold" within 3 years from the purchase date.  Can we rent out the unit and still be in compliance?
Leaning towards option 2 as this allows both of us to take advantage of the tax credit before getting married and would give us an opportunity to get into a rental property without having to put 20% down.  I'm just not sure about the principal/rental portion...
Any suggestions greatly appreciated!

zebraceo

• March 21 2009 - Greenville
  • 0

I have a print out with all these answers [self-promotional post, removed by moderator]

Jason R.