Problematic neighbor?

I just won a bid on a condo. The person below is an opera singer and on Sunday during the open house his voice could be heard strong in the living room area (thankfully not the bedroom). The sellers lived only 3 years in the place and are presumably selling because moving to west coast. 

I am a little bit uneasy with the opera singer story and the extent to which he could cause discomfort to me and more importantly to my tenants in the future. 

I could not meet the seller, just the agent who claimed it was only a weekend thing. Note this is a small building with only 4 units. 

My question: would any complaints be registered in the condo documents? Would that be a way to verify that there wasn't a major tension between the residents due to this? Or is there another way to find out? 

I am not sure how worried I should be about this. A friend of mine had the opposite problem of the neighbor below being too sensitive to noise and that has made his life pretty miserable having to walk softly at home (different building). 

I can still walk out on the condo docs and inspection, anytime, not planning to, but I am just saying I have room to investigate but not sure what is the appropriate way to do so. 

Many thanks for your thoughts. 

• September 02 2014 - US
  • 0

Go there at different times of week and day. Cancel quickly if it bothers you.

I would pass. Do not rely on the only on weekends representation. You know the neighbor sings opera loudly firsthand. If you are concerned and I would be concerned, I would knock on every neighbors door for the other 3 units. Most people do not complain. They stew or live in denial, but still do not complain.

Someone who sings opera has to sing loudly to train and stay in good voice. They cannot use a mute like a trumpet player or use headphones like a music listener or put a bank collar on their outside dog. 

As long as that neighbor is there, you will have to deal with it. Get the information from the neighbors, ask the seller in writing if any complaints have been made and trust your gut. Mine tells me that this situation is an issue and is not being represented to you fully.

The best place to find answers would be with the management company and/or the board of directors, if the association is self managed.  The master deed should outline allowable conduct for all owners as well.  You may want to have an attorney review these documents so, if this turns into a real problem,you know  what legal recourse you may have.  Otherwise, you may consider introducing yourself to the opera singer and ask about his practice schedule.  Sometimes being neighborly works better.  Good luck!

Profile picture for D will127
I think you already have your answer. If it's troublesome now it might be best to just move on. I'm pretty sensitive to noise so I know I wouldn't want to live above an opera singer.

The appropriate way to do so is to decide, as quickly as possible, if living with a loud opera singer for a neighbor is for you. If not, then let the other bidder have at the place.

If this bothers you now, you have to assume that the condo is not for you.  This neighbor may move, but the density of the homes may allow the noise to be too great for your noise sensitivity.  As for disclosures, the seller should disclose if there are any significant problems that would effect the home and it's desirability. 

Profile picture for Dan Tabit
The time to solve this is before you are 100% obligated.  If you have any due diligence or contingency periods to reconsider, find out now.  If this will inhibit your "quiet enjoyment" it may take months, money and massive headaches to resolve the problem after you move in.  
If you like opera and might appreciate this neighbor's performances, enjoy. 

Is it a problem?    You attended the open house and heard the opera singer practicing.  Imagine you were sitting at your desk writing a critical report for work, or reading a book, or having an intimate conversation with a partner - would it be okay?   What if you wish to listen to your own music, would it be a competition?

I'm noise sensitive, I'd walk.    If you aren't as blunt as I am, then I'd ask the HOA if there have been noise complaints.   While "you've been told" it is only weekends, do your own due diligence.  Heck, knock on the door of the opera singer and ask them about practice times.    I kind of like opera, but on my own terms.  

If you buy and become a landlord, please reveal this to all potential tenants.   I'm sure that will go over well.

Contact the HOA directly and ask them. That's what I would do... or have your agent do it. This is part of your due diligence.