Profile picture for mckylie

Problems with Travertine?

Does anyone else have problems with their travertine?  We have multiple divots in ours and we have only been living here for about 5 months now.  To be honest with you - we are not hard on our floor either.  Haven't been moving furniture or heavy things around.  We have called the builder and they say that is just the way travertine is - it's a soft stone.  I knew that is was soft but this is getting really bad - worse than I would imagine!
  • May 05 2010 - US
  • 0

True Travertine is soft, that is how you know if you have the true thing. The best way of fixing the divots is with grout! That is how I do it once a year.

Stone can also be damaged if it's improperly laid or if the subsurface was not designed for the application of stone. You should also check for cracks in the stone which might be indicative of a poor installation or mis-installation.

Likewise, I would have a tile contractor look at it.
I remodeled my master bath 3 years ago.
I have it in the shower, counter top & floor.
It looks as good today as when it was first installed.

Good luck

I would have a tile expert look at it...I have friends & clients who have travertine in their kitchen & baths but haven't heard any complains. It may be a bad batch of the tile.