Profile picture for mrs ryca

Property manager will not do final inspection with us.

Property manager told us that she would do a pre-inspection on the house that we have rented for 4 years, in order to give us a chance to fix things that she deemed needed to be done.  She now tells us that she wants to forgo and just do a final inspection by herself after we hand over the keys.  AND it is a very thorough inspection takes about 2-3 hours, then she will let us know what we are responsible for.  Ummmm smells fishy...dont we have the right to be there for the final?
  • May 01 2012 - Orlando
  • 0

Wetdawgs gave great advice.  I too offer property management.  Great advice Wetdawgs.  :)

I can see the reason for your worries.   I'd be documenting with photographs every inch of the property (make sure you have the time/date stamp turned on).

Profile picture for mrs ryca

Hi Wetdawgs,

This lady has a rep. for abusing security deposits of tenants.  I'm sure you were a model tenant!  We owned our own home for 15 yrs prior to moving to FL.  We do the mulch, trim the shrubs, pay for the lawn fert/pest control.  We go above and beyond.  The house in mint. I came unglued when she sent an email stating that we were resp. for the 15 yr old rugs that have been patched over the years.  I told her I was taking pics and getting evaluations on the rug in case we end up in court.  This house looks better than most of the owner occupied houses in the development!  She has been slow to repair or has not over the years.  Our front door frame is rotted out and it wiggles back and forth....how petty of your former landlord to do that to you!

Here is a link to the Florida state section from the landlord/tenant guide.   I don't see any notice that the landlord must walk through with you, but you may wish to read more carefully than I did. 

I hope you documented well with time stamped photos (copies to both landlord and yourself) when you moved in.  

I remember being livid when a landlord dinged me a big chunk of change for a moldy refrigerator gasket by which time I was on the other side of the country.   As we'd scrubbed that gasket very very carefully on the last day, there was no way it was moldy.