Profile picture for PaulaAbney

Property value estimate

I wanted to know why my property was listed the lowest on our street. Our home is the former model that had $350,000 in upgrades to it. The same House two doors down is listed at 1.57M and features builder basics. You have our house at 1.2m. We have full ocean views and look at the bluffs. This will hurt our ability to sell. Please correct.

September 17 2013 - San Diego

You are welcome to claim your home on Zillow and provide an owner estimate.

The Zestimate is not an appraisal and doesn't know the details you or an appraiser would know about your home.   It is tempting to want it to be more than Zillow says it is.   Reading their FAQ in detail will help put it in perspective.

Hi Paula,

An agent can give you an accurate value estimate for your home, including the upgrades. Don't worry what this or any other web site shows for value, because neither agents nor appraisers use these sites, which are mainly tools for consumers, for any real estate transaction. We just don't, they aren't reliable enough.

Warm Regards,

Cory La Scala, REALTOR
Independence Realty
Lic # 01443391

Hi Paula,
You need to make sure that when you do sell, you use a broker that will be able to distinguish for all interested parties why your home is worth much more than the Zestimate. Zillow's Zestimates are by no means an appraisal or customized market analysis. If I can assist you further in any way, please let me know.

Sinead    

Hello, I have found that Zillow's Zestimate's have been lower than market value lately. If you are thinking of selling your home or you just would like to know the current market value of your property? I could pull some accurate comps for you. Just let me know if you are interested.

Bly's Realty Group

Richard Bly:
Broker - Officer / CA. Notary Public

CA. Real Estate Lic. #01765273

Check how Zillow creates statistics http://www.zillow.com/help/what-is-a-zestimate/  In addition, go to the main Zillow page, scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on Zestimate. You will be able to see the accuracy of zestimates here in San Diego. In your price range, it is a pretty good range. Remember the Zestimate is only a place to start. Zestimates are cold computer estimates. They do not take into account the value and desirability of improvements or views. Full ocean views add significant value, but you will just never find that added in to a computer generated analysis. You will need to have a real estate broker create the market analysis for a more accurate value. A luxury broker will know the ins and out of added value. Don't get too frustrated about the zestimate because your neighborhood values will support your pricing if you price your home to sell. 

Please correct.

Nothing to correct...Go here and read what a Zestimate IS and ISNT....

A Zestimate ISNT your real value, only an opinion of it. No need to fret.

You should have the ability to comment on value on Zillow, and I am happy to give my assessment of value on your property if that would be helpful. I can also ask the Zillow team if they have any suggestions as well. I just need to know your property address, and also, the best value assessment is done if I am able to preview your home. Sorry to hear you are having trouble with the Zestimate.