Protecting the American Dream

The National Association of Home Builders has launched a new website, www.ProtectHomeownership.com to inform consumers about the various tax, legislative and regulatory policies under consideration by Congress that could change the structure of homeownership and inspire the public to take action to protect it.  The site also documents homeownership's importance to individual households and to local, state and national governments by providing various economic reports and data, poll questions and frequently asked questions.  It offers multiple ways for consumers to help protect this aspect of American life, including signing an online petition urging policy makers to keep housing a national priority, participating in local community rallies, and getting involved in social media communities on Facebook and Twitter that are focused on protecting home ownership.
  • September 12 2012 - Fremont
  • 0

The NAHB is not for homeowners they are for profit primarily like any business. There is a lot of good quality existing housing and lots of new houses are not needed right. THE NAHB needs to focus on building a quality product not lobbying for their own benefit IMHO.

I am unaware that there is The American Dream. I am pretty sure that there are many American dreams and they vary tremendously from person to person.

I agree wholeheartedly with sunnyview.   I also believe that lauding a website which was launched with obvious self-serving intent is perhaps not the best way to keep consumers informed.

Personally, the "American Dream" is...

The freedom/opportunity to pursue one's own aspirations, be they religious, financial, artistic, etc.
The freedom/opportunity to work to improve one's station in life, and those of their children.

A lot of elements can be part of achieving this dream, but confusing "the elements" for "the dream" is a mistake. You end up with well-intentioned but off-center efforts to "protect the dream".

Profile picture for blank screen EXILED
"I have a dream..." ---> I can't remember anything in Martian Luther King Jr's speech saying anything about "owning a house".

Besides, those that own their house outright don't "dream" of owning it, they already own it.  The only people that "dream" of owning a house are "Realtors" as they can't afford to buy one.

Last I checked, most American's dreams were more related to "financial security" and "liberty to do what they choose".  And most people's dreams are tied a lot more to "relationships" then they are to "possessions".

Still, I hear a lot more people dreaming of going to Mars, or the Moon, or the bottom of the ocean, or finding a cure for Cancer, or a cure for Alzheimer's than anything else.  And I've heard a few people dreaming that they could run a 4 minute mile.  The only people I've heard express that they are "dreaming" of buying a house in decades has been Realtors.

Really, I'm curious what Brian's dream is.  Is he still dreaming that he might one day buy a house?  If the dream was that 90% of American should "own" their own home for 50 years or more, then there would be no need to sell most of the houses, and a majority of the Realtors would be out of a job.  Right?

Nothing wrong with renting.
I think it was Donald Trump that said: 'Own Nothing but Control Everything'
Renting gives a certain freedom.

Profile picture for blank screen EXILED
If one "protects" a dream, does that mean that it becomes so rigid that the dream cannot change nor evolve?  Or does it mean that it protected to "remain a dream", and thus never be fulfilled?

Regardless, I can't think of any reason to "protect" a dream.  Such an effort seems to mean to be economically and emotionally "unsound".

Profile picture for blank screen EXILED
Perhaps this is what Brian meant by "protecting the dream"?

"Copyright Dispute: Because King's speech was broadcast to a large radio and television audience, there was controversy about the copyright status of the speech. If the performance of the speech constituted "general publication", it would have entered the public domain due to King's failure to register the speech with the Registrar of Copyrights. If the performance only constituted "limited publication", however, King retained common law copyright. This led to a lawsuit, Estate of Martin Luther King, Jr., Inc. v. CBS, Inc., which established that the King estate does hold copyright over the speech and had standing to sue; the parties then settled. Unlicensed use of the speech or a part of it can still be lawful in some circumstances, especially in jurisdictions under doctrines such as fair use or fair dealing. Under the applicable copyright laws, the speech will remain under copyright in the United States until 70 years after King's death, thus until 2038.

Deposition of Martin Luther King regarding copyright infringement.
Case File Number 63 Civ 2889, Civil Case Files; United States District Court for the Southern District of New York
Download the full deposition (PDF)
"

MLKONLINE.net

Profile picture for blank screen EXILED
"I say to you today, my friends, that in spite of the difficulties and frustrations of the moment, I still have a dream. It is a dream deeply rooted in the American dream.

I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: "We hold these truths to be self-evident: that all [people] are created equal."

I have a dream that one day on the red hills of Georgia the sons of former slaves and the sons of former slave owners will be able to sit down together at a table of brotherhood.

I have a dream that one day even the state of Mississippi, a desert state, sweltering with the heat of injustice and oppression, will be transformed into an oasis of freedom and justice.

I have a dream that [] children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character.

I have a dream today.

I have a dream that one day the state of Alabama, whose governor's lips are presently dripping with the words of interposition and nullification, will be transformed into a situation where little black boys and black girls will be able to join hands with little white boys and white girls and walk together as sisters and brothers.

I have a dream today.

I have a dream that one day every valley shall be exalted, every hill and mountain shall be made low, the rough places will be made plain, and the crooked places will be made straight, and the glory of the Lord shall be revealed, and all flesh shall see it together.

This is our hope. This is the faith with which I return to the South. With this faith we will be able to hew out of the mountain of despair a stone of hope. With this faith we will be able to transform the jangling discords of our nation into a beautiful symphony of brotherhood. With this faith we will be able to work together, to pray together, to struggle together, to go to jail together, to stand up for freedom together, knowing that we will be free one day.
"

Profile picture for DrewMeyers
I'm with Joan. The people that think every American's dream is to own a home are dead wrong.

In fact, I just wrote a post about this topic a few days ago.