Purchase home through FHA with poor credit

I lost my job in 2005 when I was making really good money. I had a hard time finding a new one and was off for almost 2 years. I had 3 credit cards that were not maxed out but had nice balances. I was able to pay these when I was working but when I lost my job and the severance package was gone it was more important to keep up with rent and the car payment rather than the credit cards. I have been working since 2008 and do not have a car payment (paid cash). I am an authorized user on my brothers credit card so I can start to try and reflect good credit. Score was about 590 6 months ago. I spoke to a lawyer a year or two back. He basically stated that they have been in default so long that there is no point to pay them, as it will not increase my scores. He said wait 16 months and call the credit reporting agencies and tell them to remove them from my credit. They are only legally allowed to report you for 7 years from the date of last activity. Well long story short is my lease is coming up and I am over of paying $2000 a month for rent and I want to buy. What can I do to get this fico score up and all the negative removed from this credit report?!?!? Any advice would be wonderful.

• September 04 2012 - Indianapolis
  • 0

Profile picture for Open Home Mortgage
Get a new lawyer (or other professional) who is knowledgeable on credit matters.  Telling someone not to take care of their obligations is not in their best interest at all.  That advice will keep you from financing a home for a long time...