Profile picture for Raynah

Purchase of condemned homes

I bought a condemned home from the city, and now I am stuck with it. The city didn't tell me that the house was condemned,nor did they tell me that it was going to be demolished. I went to the city to request from them to take the house back because it is unrepairable and unlivable, (the house is only 860sq ft.) but the city refused, they said it is my house and my responsibility. I ask if anyone can give me some advice in what to do, I can't afford an attorney and I don't know what my legal rights are. The city says I agreed to purchase the house "AS IS" I didn't know the house was condemned and the city was going to demolish it but now that I purchased the house it is my responsibility.
  • October 08 2011 - Lackawanna
  • 0

Follow the link to legal assistance for Erie County. This is a no cost service if you meet their income guidelines.

Profile picture for Raynah
Thank You for your help.

There is a catch that may help you. The city was required to disclose any known problems with the property. The city condemned that property. If they did not disclose that it was condemned then they misrepresented the property knowingly.

Saying it is as-is does not remove the disclosure requirements. Use the link Michael showed above and include this idea when you talk to a lawyer. You may even find a free initial consultation where a lawyer would take this on just talking to a couple of law offices.

Also, read the article below. It could apply to your situation.
Holmes v. Summer: dilatory disclosures and the damage done | first tuesday journal online

Were you not represented by a professional Realtor?  Did you get a professional inspection?

where did you get this home from can you send me a link of where i can find condemned homes...ive been trying to find some condemned homes in nyc area so i can do fix it with my family as a family project 

If you didn't pay much for it, sell it to a junker/salvager

I would try consulting with a couple of building contractors in the local area. There could be a possibility of repairing the home. If that does not pan out, your looking at land value only. There could be a high value of land in the area, so make sure you get some comps from someone on the property. Good Luck!

What does the house look like mybe ill take it off you hands
Rgoings430@gmail.com
Ricky Goings

Profile picture for bfarnham
Do u sell for what wrong with i

Profile picture for linda0217
My building is for sale. It has been condemned by the fire department because of the back wall. I've had verbal estimates for repair $35k - $50k . The back wall is bowing. The building is located in the borough of Ambridge in Pennsylvania. It sits approximately 30 miles from the heart of Pittsburgh, Pa. It is over 20,000 square foot and has two and a half floors. It used to be the Polish National Alliance building, private membership. It has three bathrooms that have two toilets and sinks and three other bathrooms with one toilet and sink. Urinals in most as well. The building was built in 1917 and is double bricked with block glass framed windows. It holds a stage and a balcony and has a commercial sized kitchen on the main floor and a smaller kitchen in the basement area. The electrical panel was just recently brought to code ($1500) allowing two plugs for work matters. (Picture of initial from borough on panel)This would only be accessed after back wall is complete, per fire department. There is plumbing started downstairs with pex and a nearly new large water heater is in the building. The roof will need repair as well as the inners of the walls. The building has steel poles running from top to bottom. The floor in the main hall is wood and 70 % good condition. The third floor used to be a private club and has two bathrooms and access to the roof. The basement has concrete floors, two bathrooms and several other separate rooms. There was once a club in the basement as well. The courtyard runs the entire length of the building and is approx 7 foot wide. The main road in Ambridge is visible from the front doors of the building. It is massive in height and awesome with possibilities inside. My partnership broke up and I cannot proceed single handily. Taxes are due on the building $1200. For Any other information or questions, please feel free to contact me.
  • January 15

I purchased a fha home that the city listed as a demolition. I bought it and lived their for 5 years. It is 1 mile from my job. I paid just enough in taxes to keep the county from taking it. I timed it so that I had another house that is basically new construction foreclosure. I am one month from tax foreclosure. Tried to sell, but investors don't even want it. I am taking all the materials I put into it, furnace, a/c, doors, siding, windows. Etc... Don't know if somebody has the rights post tax foreclosure. The city basically screwed me; now it's payback time.
  • 5 days ago