Profile picture for Brokerstevens

Question about 2nd egress on 2 family, 3 floors.

Would like to know if a seperate egress is needed for the 3rd floor if it only has a bedroom and the rest of the apartment is on the second floor which already has 2 egress's.
  • January 05 2013 - Turners Falls
  • 0

Profile picture for larrydiv
I currently own a six family apartment building in New Hampshire. All apartments have two forms of egress to the street. One apartment located on the second floor has a bedroom above on the third floor with a single stair access egress to the second floor two exits. This has been City legal for the last Twenty years I have owned this building. Upon changing insurance carriers I have been asked to provide a remote secondary neans of egress for the third floor. I asked if I could install a permanent interior fire escape ladder bolted to the floor under the window sill stored in its own steel case. The Insurance Company has denied my request because this doesn't satisfie their inernally established guidlines for a remote secondary escape. I can't install any thing resonable on the exterior of my building because of lot line room and cost. The Insurance Company will not renew and I'm trying to find a other carrier before I cancled. I'm fearful they have tagged my third floor as a full apartment not just a bedroom above.

Profile picture for Newton EcoBroker
You would need to consult the town directly on that, but it is my general understanding that is not required unless it is a separate living unit. However, I own a two family home that has just that situation and I provide a fixed exterior fire escape, because even though it may or may not be required by building code, it sure seems likely that if a fire were to occur in the only stairwell to safety, the occupants would be looking for another means of egress. Please consult your town's building department and fire marshal for further and most accurate information.