Question about my HOA

I recently received a letter from my HOA estating that I need to paint my house, which I'm more than happy to comply with. It also seems that other homeowners have received these letter because there are a quite a few houses that are been painted right now.

The problem that I have is that they asked me to submit samples of the trim color, body paint color and any accent color. They also sent me a an Architectural Review form to submit with my samples. I decided that I want to do stucco in the front of the house and paint the rest, I submitted the color of the stucco and the other color for the trim, I also want to add a few decorative columns to both sides of the house. I gave them a description of what I want to do, I gave them a plan/scketch of how the house would look. A few days ago I received a letter that they had denied all of my request. This is what they said 1) color is too dark, 2) White Trim only, 3) columns do not meet the aesthetics of my neighborhood. I have submitted an appeal letter to the Board, but honestly I'm very nervous that the Board is going to deny me my appeal. Can else can I do?

I gave them samples of why it was unfair and unreasonable for them to deny it. For examples there are a number of houses around this area that have either a very dark color, very bright colors and have different color of trim not just "White Trim". There are also house that have decorative columns. Accoding to my HOA they based their decision on how the houses to my left, right or the two houses in the front of my house look, well it clearly shows that they didn't use this criteria when they allowed the other houses to be painted the way they are painted.

I don't know what to do?
  • July 05 2012 - Denver
  • 0

Profile picture for AllureTM
I would definitely ask for any applicable Architectural Guidelines that may be in place, as well as any approved color schemes to cut down on the guessing process. 

You will also want to request to appear directly in front of the Architectural Committee or Board of Directors (whomever will be reviewing the appeal) to discuss the matter further. Most committees/boards are extremely helpful; after all, this is what they have volunteered their time and energy to.

Hope this helps!

What's in your CC&Rs? The HOA is bound by the CC&Rs, as are you - so they can cut in both directions.

I can also tell you that "the HOA board" is simply a small group of your neighbors. I've been on an HOA board with some people who wanted to use the CC&Rs as a hammer to force everyone to comply with their vision for the community, as well as with people who viewed the CC&Rs as guidelines and were willing to use their own "common sense". The problem is that this can result in uneven application of the CC&Rs (as you are finding out).

Unfortunately, right or wrong, your HOA has the right to "tell" you what is acceptable and what isn't.  If you do not follow their guidelines, they can and mostly likely will, put a lien on your house for the cost of the changes.  Either comply or sell!!! Julie Montgomery, RE/MAX Masters, [hotlink removed by Zillow moderator]