Profile picture for Optimus012

Question about selling a house using a lockbox

I'm selling my house and at first, I didn't have a lockbox, but I finally reluctantly agreed to get one, a supra. I put all my important belongings in a safe place. I was wondering, does it happen often where the buyers and agent forget to lock a door or forget to close the patio door? I'd hate for them to forget and then someone break in. In that instance, is the agent somehow held accountable?

January 19 2012 - US

A good agent is going to go back thru the home, check all doors to make sure they are locked and turn off all lights. However, during the listing I make sure I tell my clients that they need to take all money, jewelry and guns out of the home.  I suggest a lock box for  money and jewelry and dont make a suggestion where they take their guns as long as they are out of the home.  Taking any kind of weapon out of the home is in my opinion essential when your home is on the market.  If a child or individual would God forbid get hurt or worse while viewing the home can you imagine the liability on the homeowner. 

I agree about the sign 'Agents - check all doors before leaving - including garage door'

I've had listings where doors were left unlocked. Once the garage door was left open. What happens is the buyers are going through the home opening doors and hitting the garage door button but then fail to lock the doors.

After every showing and open house (or any time I've been in a home) I go around and check every single door before leaving and also double check the exit door. It's rare that doors are left open (as compared to the number of showings) but it happens.

I see doors left open more often that I'd like to see. Expect it to happen and consider posting a small note be back doors, etc, as a reminder to lock the door.

No, and no.

Tap, it is essential that you contact your insurance company and tell them that your home is on the market. Personally, I would move all of my easily portable valuables off site immediately - I get far more calls from sellers who have misplaced things, thought them stolen, then having to call back sheepishly to tell me they've found them than who have actually been robbed.

But, things can happen, and an ounce of prevention is worth several tons of cure. Bring the jewelry to a friend's house, to work, whatever.

In the event of a loss, the real estate agents are not liable.

A supra is really necessary in today's market. Agents are very careful when it comes to relocating all doors. You should be ok.

I have heard your concerns before, but in the market we are in these days you have to do all you can to make it easy for your house to be shown, the lockbox is a essential tool. I am showing a house tomorrow were the listing agent must be present at all showings. It adds to the difficulty of showing it but since it is $950,000 I can work around it. I am not sure which Supra box your local MLS is using, some record time, date and who entered the box to get the key. These boxes force the agents to do better because it is recorded who and when they went there and it is easy to find who the last person to access the box was, so agents are more on their toes. Ask your agent if their box does this.

If a crook wants to break into your house I can pretty much bet they will get in with or without the door being locked.

Profile picture for Optimus012
I see. Well I'm still living in the house so it would only be for times that I'm out. That's a good idea about posting signs though. I'll be sure to do that.

Smart agents post DO NOT FORGET TO LOCK THIS DOOR signs all around. That said, other agents keeping the key or forgeting to lock the doors may be a problem, thats why its important to have an agent who is on top of things and can check on the house all the time. TOOOO busy of an agent and youll never see them.