Question for Realtors

You see on craigslist or some of the other free websites (thank you Robin et al) that a property is FSBO and not to contact the person offering the property for sale to offer them services, etc. Why do you do it anyway?

January 23 2008 - US

Well Sas, I dont know so I wouldnt know.

Carrie, are we drinking early today?

Profile picture for jsciii

I am often contacted by realtors offering to sell my home. Though I don't mind telling them "no" some people would rather not be bothered.

I meant I dont do that so I wouldnt know. but hey if I dont know I wouldnt know too. LMAO

It is enough for me to deal w/people that actually want my services.
My assumption when I see a FSBO who does not want to be solicited is that they have made a decision not to list w/an agent and the only time I would contact them is if I actually have a buyer for the house (to ask if they will co-operate w/brokers for compensation)

Be aware that there are agents who will use this guise as a way to get in front of you so they can try to convince you to list.

GRI,

That's my guess as to why this is done by some of these companies but to me, it just makes you look bad. I mean, its not as if someone selling a house/condo does not know that realtors are OUT there! I emailed the one who did it to me today and told her thanks, but no thanks I already have such a service but is she has a qualified buyer, I do pay a  buyer's agent commission so feel free to come back to me with a qualified buyer.

Carrie, I thought your answer lost something in translation....!

Many RE companies - especially the ones who tend to advertise for "newly licensed agents" - start them out by having them chase expired listings and FSBOs.  I think a lot of them are just too green to realize how bad they look when they contact someone who has asked to be left alone.  (Many are too uninitiated to check the DNC lists, too...)

Carrie, have you been hijacked by someone, like maybe Lawrence of Inebria? 

Most of the sellers do not put the comment to not call them...can an agent call them then?  I would not contact a seller that puts the comment in their listing, no agents!  I would call a seller if I had an interested buyer though.

It is all about your client and if it is what my client would like to see hopefully it will all work out.  I have run into a few that didn't want to work with me though, so they might have missed a potential sale because my buyer didn't want to see it unless I helped the process along.

mhaun,

Before you can call a seller you have to check the Do Not Call List.  If they are on that list, you can not call them.

Okay I will give you the only honest answer so far. The reason why I do call fsbo's in my area is that I knw 92% of them will list there home, so it may as well be with me. There is some give and take however. I make sure the fsbo has all the appropriate forms required by law so that if they do sell they stay out of trouble. I offer to help them find there next home or next agent if relocating, I advise them on where they can post there home for free. I teach them how to read buyer the 9 key buying signals, if after all of this they still have not sold then I would hope to be someone that gets an opportunity to interview for the job of selling your home. I also would like to make sure that they sell the home at market value because why should someone trying to save 5% affect their neighbors property value by selling 10-25% less than homes I list. Is that fair. 

Anita,

Yes, I am saying if on a website or brochure they put "no agents", etc.  I will not just out of the blue call them, but if my client wants to see it I will call them and see if they are willing to let me show the property.  Most sellers do not have an issue with this.

February 12 2008

I agree with carrie completely "I don't know so I wouldn't know"

An excellent use of De Carte's original postulate: "I drink therefore I am (drunk)"... but hey thats just me...I don't call FSBO's, they always overprice their home anyways, cause its special and all. let some other agent list it, then at the end of that listing, I'll come around with some "tough love"...

February 12 2008

Mr Gorham - I do not appreciate being called a liar. I do not call FSBOs to get listings PERIOD.

February 12 2008

Mr. Gorham makes the point best; nearly 85-90 percent of all FSBO's eventually list their property with an agent. Also the majority do not have notices for agents not to call, they put a sign up asking for calls from everyone on the street. It seems naive to think they wouldn't get a call from at least a few Realtors?

February 12 2008

Mr. Gorham also makes the point that none of us who posted above him were being honest; I certainly do not appreciate that!

February 12 2008

No worries Carol and Carrie - another drive by "I am the awesomest" agent.  The regs know you two are da bomb. 

February 12 2008
Profile picture for tj125tj

Yeah Carrie, Marci and Carol - don't worry - You 3 got "street cred" here...  We know who to trust. LOL

February 12 2008

My point in the original post Dan and Mr. Gorham is that Craigslist specifically tells you NOT to contact the poster offering to sell your services. Contact me if you have a buyer for sure. But if you don't have a buyer, I don't really want to hear from you.

February 12 2008

80% of the time a FSBO ends up listing with a realtor, and normally, it is with one who approached them. However, realtors need to abide by the DO Not Call lists in their area and also take the hint when one is unwilling to be approached. Sounds like you hav ehad a negative experience with realtors. If so, hope you find a positive one someday soon. ;)

February 12 2008

Craigslist has rules. But it seems that REAs routinely ignore them in my area. I should start just reporting them to CL and let CL deal with them, I suppose.

February 12 2008

I'm just curious, where do these figures come from?  According to Michael Gorham 92% of FSBOs will list with an agent.  Dan says 85-90% and Jennifer says 80%.  Is it from local data somewhere? 

February 12 2008

94.65% of statistics are wrong.

February 12 2008

mhaun,

If you have a legitimate buyer who is interested in the property then you can contact the seller.  However, many sellers are wary of this because so many agents use it as a tactic to get in the door and give their "use me to list your home" spiel.  However, keep in mind that just because a seller does agree to let you and your buyer see the property it doesn't mean they will compensate you so be sure you discuss this with your buyer.  And if you already know all this than I apologize for being redundant.

February 12 2008

they gotta eat....

anyway, it's an opportunity for the home seller, if they don't mind paying a sale commission,  to solicit the agent to become a "buyer's agent" who brings a purchase contract to the home seller....turnabout

how long could it take to get your plug in to the agent calling?  after all, FSBOs are in the sales/marketing game too

February 13 2008

LOL Marci - love the "drive-by" comment!

February 13 2008

How to get rid of cooking smell while selling your home
Profile picture for Jose Smith Jr
Latest reply by Jose Smith Jr
Carpet Allowance vs. Replacement
Profile picture for J.C. Mernin, Jr.
Latest reply by J.C. Mernin, Jr.
1 day ago | 21 answers
MLS My Home has poor service
Profile picture for zuser20140520104303205
Latest reply by zuser20140520104303205
SHOULD A SELLER PAY THE BUYERS CLOSING COSTS? What you need to know...
Profile picture for PeteSchneider
Latest reply by PeteSchneider
I quitclaimed my house to my ex wife when we got divorced, but my name is still on the loan.
Latest reply by sunnyview