Profile picture for sonjalovas

Questions about Buyer Feedback

Buyers, are you aware listing agents contact your representative for feedback after you see a property? Have you had a discussion as to what you want them to tell the sellers? Would you like them to share your comments, or do you think you agent should ask your permission what you want shared? Do you think it could hurt your negotiations?

• July 18 2010 - Town of Bedford
  • 1

Profile picture for ABBAUSA
Very good question.

Since I am representing the buyers in this situation, I keep the information to myself and tell the buyers what I will mention on the feedback.

Usually vague items, like the color, the carpet, etc. We are fishing a little to see if the seller will offer a concession in any area we feedback about.

We never go overboard.

Good question and thanks for posting it on Zillow.

James Callas - Realtor®

Profile picture for JoSoss
Sonja, great question!  I don't think many buyers understand this process.  I always tell my buyers that I will be contacted and that I will not tell the listing agent what they thought. Sometimes I tell the listing agent my feedback and sometimes I don't. When I represent the seller I ask for the agents feedback.

I do not understand how witholding information when you share feedback will hurt in any negotiation.  Either the house is in good shape or the paint is peeling and the house looks tired.  I appreciate honest buyer's feedback and also pass on the same type of feedback.

Profile picture for frisky1
This is a really good point. Of course nothing a buyer says or does should ever be communicated to the listing agent or the seller without the buyers permission. the buyers agent has a fiduciary responsibility to protect their client--forget the niceties of the business. ANYTHING you say can be used against you. and even innocuous feedback like the buyer thought the paintjob in the dining room was terrible could cause the seller to paint the dining room and make the house more desirable to another buyer--fostering competition. 

I do think a buyers agent should either have a no feedback policy or better yet, strategize with the buyers on how that feedback call can be used to get more info about the seller, their motivation, situation, etc while giving nothing (or very specific info) away about the buyer. the feedback request is a good way to talk to the listing agent specifically about that property and seller without calling directly and tipping them off that the buyer may be interested.

Being honest helps sellers to be realistic.  If they hear it once, they may not budge.  If they hear it several times, they will most likely make a change. 

I agree that buyer feedback can be helpful to identify a recurring problem identified by most buyers.  There's a smell, the house is to cluttered or to much road noise.  A good listing agent will have already discussed these items with their seller but sometimes the seller needs to hear it several times before they get the picture.  As a listing agent I have experienced that when the feedback comes in overly negative it is usually from a buyer that is considering placing an offer and thinks that this will help them secure a lower price.  I counsel my buyer and seller clients accordingly on how feedback should be handled.