Profile picture for LadyDianna

Quite frankly, Zillow sucks.

Honestly, is there any part of this website, other than possibly the forums, that doesn't have issues? Time and time again the forums are flooded with people seeking help regarding their properties, their listings or the information contained therein. Inaccurate, umm, let's rephrase, WRONG information is a frequent problem. Missing info is a problem. Info not updating is a problem. Bugs in the system are a problem. I've had several problems myself, including today. I go to list an Open House for my home from 12 - 4 on a Sat. and a Sun. After completed I reveiw my listing. Times appear as 11 - 3. Hmmm, did I click the wrong times? I go back and double check. Nope, clicked the right times, but the wrong times appear. If you are going to offer a service, free or otherwise, in my case NOT free, you should make every effort to make sure your system works accurately. I've never believed in doing anything half assed. This site falls well below the half assed level of acceptability. JMO.

October 29 2010 - Greenwood

I gave you the thumbs up. Not sure how long they will let your honest criticism remain but it needed to be said.

Profile picture for LadyDianna
I know Brian. It's a race to the finish line. LOL.

Hi LadyDianna,

I've asked a Customer Support rep to follow-up with you by email and help get your Open House date correctly posted.

Thanks for using Zillow!
Russ

Profile picture for LadyDianna
I would certainly appreciate that, and while they are at it, if they could fix the "Year Built" of my home I would appreciate it. The year built is unknown as it was built around the 1900s before records were kept with the county. My home shows up with the county as "Unknown." I have tried to fix it serveral times without success. If it could just be left blank since it will only take numbers and not letters that would be great. Thank you for your attention to this matter.

Profile picture for LadyDianna
Sucking a little less. ;-)

I agree with you especially how not all people follow the good neighbor policy and zillow does nothing about it.

Profile picture for LadyDianna
I'm less concerned with the "Good neighbor" policy as a consumer. As a consumer, I have a house to sell and I've paid for space on this site to assist me in the effort. WADR, the "Good neighbor" policy is not even on my radar, but I am glad you took the opportunity to bring it up on my post.

I really haven't had any issues with Zillow.  But, I use 2 syndication sites, point2 & List Hub, to send my listings directly to Zillow.  I hope your issues are resloved soon.

Zillow, like all things in life, has its issues but overall I think they do a pretty good job. Everything on the site, again like all things in life, need to be checked and rechecked.

Profile picture for LadyDianna
Totally disagree with you Nathan. Totally. We clearly live in different worlds.

Lady Di, Any website has to be checked and updated. When the information is swept it comes in with notes on the pictures. I just started cleaning up one of the water front homes. Although I am getting my best leads from Zillow.

Profile picture for LadyDianna
Carrie, I have no idea what you are talking about. I am assuming it has something to do with being a REALTOR and using this site as a marketing tool for your profession. I am NOT a Realtor. I am a consumer. Not that that makes any difference on whether things should work or not, but I am not here to get "leads". I think I established that in my initial post. I am addressing this from a consumers perspective. As someone paying to use this site. Are you paying to use this site? I am also VERY familar with how websites works. I have created and designed many, including the one for the sale of my own home. [Link removed by Zillow moderator] In addition, the Internet is practically my second home. I use it frequently, so please understand I know how things "out here" work. How anyone can argue that this site does not have issues, or that those issues should be not only expected, but accepted, is beyond me. All you have to do is look through the post. I would guestimate that every 4th post on average is asking for something to be corrected. In what world are those acceptable ratios? I stick to my original statement, if you are going to do something and more over if you are going to charge a fee for something, do it right!

Profile picture for workabee
Tune them out Lady Di. You already got it covered on your own. Your website rocks!

Profile picture for LadyDianna
Thanks Workabee. I know the deck is stacked against me so I am doing all I can. I think I'm on the right track and am just trying to do all I can stay on the right track. Your post drove quite a bit of traffic to my site. I say YOU rock! LOL. ;-)

Hi LadyDianna -

As for the open house dates, we have found a bug and our team is actively working on it for a fix. We also want to thank you for sharing your work around to set-up the open house dates correctly to our users with similar issues.

As for the year built, our public facts column shows no value for this as well the combined facts column.

Hello Lady Dianna,
Realtors do have to pay to use this site.  I think she was just saying that with all things, it needs to be double checked.  There are definitely bugs in the system, but everytime I call a representative they fix it immediately.  I hope you have better luck!

Profile picture for LadyDianna

Thank you Russ & Ice for your attention to this matter. While Zillow has some "issues," it does appear that those in charge do take the proper measures to try and rectify problems with some diligence. That is commendable, it's just too bad some of these problems cannot be nipped in the bud or fixed on the front end. I realize Zillow is a massive site and problems are going to occur, but many other sites are as well and seem to be able to do so without quite so many problems. Again, you are to be commended for making every effort to address problems quickly. Thanks again.

Profile picture for 71019
I have yet to get corrections to stand on both my home's listing & corrections on what the property next door is now.

I'd really like to not even be ON this site, as my home is not for sale & not likely to be so any time soon. However, since I'd prefer an accurate listing if I must be on Zillow, I keep correcting my listing, & it never seems to "take". This has been going on for months.

Likewise the empty lot shown next door -- this is not & has not been an empty lot for at least 2 years, & it is also no longer even a house -- but can't get Zillow to fix this either.

If I can't get off the site, I'd like it to at least be accurate! It's all very frustrating!

Profile picture for LadyDianna
I can appreciate your frustration 71019. From what I have observed of Zillow what you describe IMO is one of the big problems. Zillow tapping to public records that are not accurate is something that I find very broken with the site. One could argue that if you get the public record corrected the info found here would be accurate. I'm not so sure that is 100% true, but what I do know is that many people, if not most, have no idea about how to go about checking public records online but they do know how to find Zillow. Those people who are either bypassing public records by choice or because they don't know how end up here and look at info that is quite outdated. This is very frustrating for homeowners. It in fact could direct people away from their homes or hurt their bottom line. For this reason I believe Zillow should not have this system automated as it appears to be. There is too much room for error and this affects homeowners who, in many cases in this economy are already suffering.

Profile picture for 71019
And there's the point - as a matter of fact the info on both properties IS correct on the local auditors' site -- aside from the empty lot picture.

So where are they getting their info - if they're looking?

Tried to correct my home's description yet again, & guess what? Still doesn't work . . .

Profile picture for LadyDianna

Don't get upset with me, I was just trying to commiserate with you. I am just a homeowner who has my house listed for sale on this site. I'm assuming you read through the post and were able to deduce that fact. I can't answer questions that I don't know the answer to.

Profile picture for 71019
Oh I know - sorry!

So how do we get ZILLOW to respond!? It'd be great if they had some sort of direct "contact' mechanism to help resolve some of this.

...then dont use it....

Profile picture for LadyDianna
Who are you directing your comment to Vince? The people who have no say in the situation and whose homes show up on this site and they fight to correct it or the people who pay $39.95 to post their home for sale only to find out AFTER  paying that there are many issues that they cannot get corrected? Just curious. If someone has no vested interested in the site then your sarcastic response is a good one. If they fall into one of the categories that I just mentioned it's useless. Personally, if I was given a full refund of my money I would certainly take your advice and not use the site, but it appears I'm sucked in to do so until what I have paid for expires.

Profile picture for 71019
Thanks LadyDianna!

It doesn't seem you CAN get off the thing Vince.

Hi all,

The quality(accuracy, completeness and timeliness) of the data on Zillow is of the utmost importance to us. For many reasons we think are obvious, it is in everybody's best interests -- ours included -- to have high quality data and we work continuously to ensure this.

As most of you know, we receive data from a number of data providers. Of course, with over 100,000,000 properties in our database we're going to have some percentage of data that's flat-out inaccurate. This may be because the source data(eg at the county auditor's office) is incorrect, it could have something to do with one of our 3rd-party public data providers, it could be something from the thousands of automated listings feeds that we receive from brokerages daily, it could have something to do with the numerous tools we make available to homeowners to input data directly, and it could certainly be something here at Zillow, as well. Again, we appreciate that the quality of our data is subject to the weakest link in this chain so we'll continue to work to make things better.

@71019

I've asked a member of our Customer Support team to follow-up with you regarding the issue you're experiencing.

Thanks for using Zillow, all...and we appreciate the discussion and feedback here in Zillow Advice!

Russ

Quite frankly, Zillow sucks.
Profile picture for Russ Hatfield Jr.
Latest reply by Russ Hatfield Jr.
How important are good photos of a home's interior/exterior?
Profile picture for Kevin Horan RN & Susan Horan
Latest reply by Kevin Horan RN & Susan Horan

1. 215 Pineland Shores Cir, Laurens, SC Home For Sale
    215 Pineland Shores Cir, Laurens, SC 29360

2. 346 Compass Pt, Ninety Six, SC Home For Sale
    346 Compass Pt, Ninety Six, SC 29666

3. Ninety Six Hwy (hwy # 34), Ninety Six, SC Home For Sale
    Ninety Six Hwy (hwy # 34), Ninety Six, SC 29666