REA specializing in 203k

Hi There - I'm a little concerned about my REA....I found one from positive yelp reviews. First, he showed up 20 minutes late.  Then he spent about 2 hours of a 1 hour appointment talking without asking what we wanted.   We told him our budget of 500-550k and he mentioned the market is difficult and our budget is not realistic for a 3 br house...

He asked me to send houses I wanted to look at from redfin ( instead of him compiling the list ) and to my surprise, today we spent 2 hours driving around looking at houses which were 100-150k below the range we asked to look at....none of which were on my original list...not sure why he did this. I thought normally they show you houses which are out of the budget?  

Additionally we told him that we want a 203k reno loan and he said it would be tough to get an offer accepted on any property with this, even foreclosures.

Yes, we live in the Bay Area and real estate is competitive, but is this what we should expect in an agent?

Hoping I can get a recommendation for a REA who is experienced in Castro Valley/Dublin/Pleasanton area and has completed many 203k loans...

• January 19 - Castro Valley
  • 0

Even when reviews are positive and/or you've received a personal recommendation, I strongly recommend interviewing the agents very very carefully. (With reviews, I find negative ones where the agent responds more revealing than the positive fluff.)   You can start with a phone interview, you can chose your top candidates with a phone call and interview the top ones in person.

"Then he spent about 2 hours of a 1 hour appointment talking without asking what we wanted."  You were extremely patient to sit there for two hours.   Why didn't you speak up after 15 minutes or less?   Heck, I've stopped interviews after 15 minutes even when several hours have scheduled. 

"none of which   were on my original list...not sure why he did this"   and you didn't ask?

"I thought normally they show you houses which are out of the budget?"  Some do, but that isn't a very good idea now is it?   

I
t sounds like you are letting the process happen to you, rather than being assertive in communication.   Yes, I agree the agent you describe is a dud but you need to speak up!   You are looking in a highly competitive market, how many fixer uppers are available?     May your process of finding a new agent who will meet your needs go well.

• January 19