Profile picture for contactus708175

READY TO SUE ZILLOW FOR INACCURATE INFORMATION!

Why will you not change your initial view information on a home when it is HIGHLY inaccurate. I'm tired of emailing you guys and getting absolutely NO response! So, I thought I would put my response out for anyone/everyone who comes to this Discussion Topic.

PROPERTY #1 You show: 921 Menlo Dr, Big Bear Lake, CA 92315
2 beds / 1.0 baths / 480 sq ft / single family / built 1963

ISSUES:
#1 - This is a 1 1/2 bathroom home.

#2 - You guys are SUPPOSEDLY real estate experts; well, you must not be if you think it's conceivable to have a two-story, 2 bedroom home with only 480 sq ft.

PROPERTY #2 You show: 43377 Sheephorn Rd, Big Bear Lake, CA 92315
1 beds / 1.0 baths / 840 sq ft / single family / built 1966

If this wasn't a two story house, I'd agree with your 1 bedroom/1 bathroom, but as you can tell from the pictures, it's a two-story house and there are 2 bedrooms upstairs.

What you guys MUST realize; or are ignorant if you FAIL to realize, is that if a potential buyer sees your statistics along with the selling price, they won't even consider opening the details to see the TRUTH! As well, your facts make your comps inaccurate in calculating the $ per sq/ft. You may just be the reason why a seller missed that one perfect buyer!

Don't hide behind public record when an owner can provide TRUE INFO through legal documents.

August 26 2007 - US

I agree with you. Banks should not be using Zillow or any other online site to make lending decisions.I think that is unfair. It is one thing to use an AVM to take a quick look for discussion sake, but if the consumer wants to proceed or disagrees, the banks should offer an appraisal as a matter of course.

Profile picture for fidozoom
ZIllow is extremely misleading and inaccurate. Same neighborhood, similar sq.ft. but different estimates. Don't try to hide behind "statistical algorithms", some of us are statisticians as well.

To those trying to support zillow as providing only estimates to supposedly buyers and a general public that understands all the intricacies of home improvement - how is this different from misleading advertising? Isn't the general public supposed to know everything such that any advertiser can't mislead them? Zillow provides information about my house they better make it accurate or explain why there are deviations instead of hiding behind "mathematical formulas". if it is GIGO, then they should be liable for further amplifying the garbage and making it public.

Want to know why the housing market is never going to rebound? One reason is probably websites like zillow which have no scientific basis. I will be looking into pursuing a class action suit soon.

Profile picture for mustang2525
When you do I will be happy to join on with you!!!!!

Profile picture for SoCal_Engr
The garbage is already public, where'd you think it came from?

While you're at it, go after Trulia, Cyberhomes, etc. They have the same issues.

Profile picture for mustang2525
Yeah that is why there is 80K difference from Cyber and 100K from Trulia on my home.  SoCal what garbage is one using over the other???  Funny how Trulia and Cyber are much closer than Zillow.  But I guess if one of the three credit companies was 200 points less than the other 3 on your credit report that would be OK. Hey it is public garbage.

Oh wait the credit companies actually give you way to fix material errors.  Zillow does not and that is were the problem lies.

Profile picture for SoCal_Engr
Zillow allows you to claim your home and update the stats.

I've checked my house on all three sites, and Zillow is the most accurate for mine. The key is, they're all getting the same info from the public sources - just using different algorithms to generate their automated estimates.

As an example, none of the sites has correct bedroom/bathroom info on my house - because they all pull from my assessor's website, which has the original 3/2.5 from the builder's basic plan and don't know about the upgrades we put in.

Bottom line...

They're all "just estimates" and really have no effect on the actual value.

@ mustang:  You write:  "Oh wait the credit companies actually give you way to fix material errors.  Zillow does not and that is were the problem lies."   Zillow does in fact allow you to correct these errors.  Simply claim the home and edit the home facts.   You can read more details in the Zillow FAQs.  

Plus, if there are errors this extensive in your property description, which is coming from public records at your local assessor's office, perhaps it is time to trek down to the assessor's office and make them right.

You are quite correct, Zillow is not over riding the data from the assessor's office, nor questioning it.

Profile picture for mustang2525

Wetdawgs -- Have updated all the stats from a certified appraisal it changed the value by $3,000.  Bottom line a material error is not able to be fixed, even with a certified appraisal.   The assessors comment is not proper either as my "public information" assessment is over 100K higher than Zillow and pretty much dead on with the apraisal.  So over riding the data isn't the issue.

Please recall I have a letter from Wells Fargo that detaile our home equity line of credit was closed "due to the resent significant decrease in value on the Zillow website" which I sent to the attorney general of IL.  Obviously Wells Fargo is in the wrong but don't ASSUME it doesn't have any effect on the value of the home.  So their site has caused me and my family damages.  With no ability to fix (see the trend here).

Zillow is a business and generates income from this site so it has a duty to make sure the information they provide is accurate, especially if the OWNER can supply information that shows a gross difference in their "formula". 

Amazing that people want to sue their mailman for delivering them bad news from some lender...

Might as well sue your congressman for the PIPP legislation in 2009 that caused many of these financial institutions to make their decisions.

Duty?  What "duty"?  By what law?  Better sue sue Alan Greenspan for neglecting his "duty" then.  And better sue the appraiser that over appraised the property to get that line of credit in the first place since it was based only on a market bubble.

"Our home equity line of credit was closed "due to the resent significant decrease in value on the Zillow website" which I sent to the attorney general of IL..."

I am glad that you send that to your AG. Banks should not be using Zillow to make final lending decisions. I think that is wrong and unfair. Honestly, banks do what they want. It's like credit card limits. If you spend too much on your card according to the bank even if it is under your max assigned limit, they will unilaterally reduce the limit and send a letter stating your card usage is too active.

With the home equity loans, they blame Zillow instead. Zillow does not allow their site to be used for lending and they have said so more than one, but banks do what they want. The bank wants you to hate Zillow instead of them. They made the lending decision probably based on another internal AVM (automatic valuation model) program plus your credit report. Instead of being straight about that and telling you that they want to reduce their "risk" in lending you more, they shove it on Zillow. Bad practice, lies and not fair to the homeowner. I am glad you reported it. It should not happen period.

@ mustang:  The material errors I was referring to were related to the facts on the home.   The opinion on the value of a home be it from an appraiser, a town assessor, an agent or whoever is merely an opinion, so can't be labelled a "fact".  When it becomes a fact is when someone purchases the home for a specific price. The purchase price is a fact.

Would someone sue their local news paper for publishing a "weather report" stating it will be "sunny" and then it pours down rain ruining your $800 suit, and the water you track into your car rusts out the bottom of the car, and causes mold and mildew in the carpet, and your $8k pet dog dies because it catches pneumonia, and your spouse slips on the sidewalk breaking an ankle and two ribs and ripping a tendon in the knee, and pulling a leg out of the hip socket?

The newspaper is a "media" company just like Zillow, and the News Paper probably has more employees, and they obtain their revenue from advertisements just the same.  Are they liable for the words in their publication?  Did they have a disclaimer?  Did you read it?

What about suing the baker of those "fortune cookies" that printed those "Loto" numbers that didn't give you a winning ticket?  Was there "implied warranty" in that it was called a "fortune"?  Are they a media company, a food company, a snack company, a packaging company, a novelty company, an entertainment company, an occultic/fortune-telling company or a financial advisory company?  If you are getting your "financial advice" from such a source, what is that saying about you?

These sue happy people should read the terms of service

http://www.zillow.com/wikipages/What-is-a-Zestimate/

http://www.zillow.com/corp/Terms.htm

I've never heard of a seller concerned or threatening to sue over free advertising and exposure.

My only thoughts are:

1. There is a disclaimer on the site about accuracy.

And

2. Are you paying to post your listing or is it absolutely free of charge?

If not, then you shouldn't be complaining about free advertising. Consider it a gift regardless of the mistake. At least you are getting some exposure. 

Either way, Zillow.com pulls there info from the MLS and other sites where you might have posted your house "for sale by owner." If anything you should check with your Realtor. 

Profile picture for schainey
I am so ready to join the lawsuit. Posters are correct: banks and appraisers use Zillow in determining refinancing and home equity decisions. This could mean a loss of thousands of dollars.  Zillow has significantly incorrect information. I want to know who to contact for the lawsuit!

Profile picture for SoCal_Engr
I just posted on another thread, but I'll put my experience here too.

I just had my house appraised for a refi. The appraiser did not use Zillow, but listed several comps from my neighborhood.

Because my neighborhood is newer and has decent data for Zillow to use, the appraisal is within 3% of the current Zestimate.

Your experience with appraisal-v-Zestimate will vary, especially if there just isn't enough good data to support the Zestimate algorithm. However, I'd refuse to pay for any appraiser who used Zillow in their appraisal.

Profile picture for ovation766
I've had problems with the zestimate as well.  Small sq. footage in Calif is understandable, I lived in la jolla for many years, renting an 850 sq foot house 2 blocks from the ocean - $1M.  I have a house in Fl. now that I feel is being mis-represended by zillow with their zestimate.  They get their info from local realtors, which may or may not be accurate.

The info does not come from local realtors. It comes mainly from recorded sales, assessor info, sales trends. There is more info on the Zestimate here .Right now the market in wonky in many areas including Florida with foreclosures. Shell REO houses with no kitchen may be compared with a nice house that is taken care of by an owner.

Appraisers are having that problem too and many of their appraisals are low as a result of having "comparable sales" on paper that are really not comparable at all. It is a mess.

Profile picture for ovation766
to so_cal_engr -
You sound like you work pretty hard at this - my main complaint with zillow is that it is understandably one of the most accessible sources for information on house values.  Use the internet, log into zillow, type in your address, and there it is.  Despite how "stupid" someone might be,
it has an effect on a potential buyers interest level, because they may not have the wherewithall to look deeply into the accuracy of the number they see.  And in fact, if they do, they will probably only get more confused.  In the end, it all comes down to what the buyer will accept. Of course, if their potential acceptance is again based upon a flawed zillow estimate, i.e., too high, it won't sell.  Local comps are still probably the most reliable.  but again, what impact zillow has on local comps is hard to determine.  it's all around a confusing issue, with no real answer, just like the real estate market in general these days.

Profile picture for Tai Yu
Zillow wants to go IPO in 2011. If I start a company now to value private companies that wants to go IPO and price Zillow at $300Mil instead of the $400 Mil paid by last funders wouldn't they be pissed and start to sue me?

Only difference is the number of 0's, but is the concept is the same. My home was appraised today to be $100k more than their Zestimate. Sure they give ways for home owners to estimate their own home, but how can the zestimate be changed? Why can't they allow professional appraisers to adjust the zestimate so that it can be more accurate?

If google or some bigger website with more clout put out wrong information about zillow and decreased zillow's valuation wouldn't zillow want the ability to convince google or that bigger website to correct the valuation? Same analogy applies for home owners, the average home owner needs a way to correct a wrong zestimate.

However, since you can claim any house, there is a security issue. It opens up ability for anyone to change the price. Let's say a delinquent grandmother doesn't have internet access. A predator vulture wants to lower the price of her home to so he can buy at below market price. He can claim her house on zillow, put wrong information on it and deflate the zestimate for her house. Over time, people believe this wrong information and the grandmother lose out on potential gains. How can zillow protect home owners from this?

Profile picture for annbr
I've been trying to get zillow to change my home information for a year without success.  It just doesn't get done!  They are showing a house sale for EVERY home in my town, and they just don't care.

February 16 2011
Profile picture for pjdh
  • pjdh
  • Contributions:26
I would gladly get in on the lawsuit. They have nearly made it impossible to sell my home on the outskirts of town since there are very little sales out here they have way underestimated my house. It is brand new, upgraded in many areas and I just had a professional appraisal done and it came out at 196,000. Zillow has it in the low 170's, less that 67 dollars a square foot for a brand new house. IT is absolute absurd! I live in a very nice area by the way. There is no explanation for why Zillow is so low.

If your house has few comps, then both appraisers and Zillow will have trouble valuing your house. Zillow is even more limited then an appraiser because they have less specific information and cannot specifically look for comps for your house in a slightly larger radius.

It can be a problem for appraisers too when you have new houses that have few comps in areas of older houses that are not as nice. The best thing you can do is make sure your home facts are accurate and think about adding an owner's estimate to show additional value for things that Zillow cannot see in the numbers from the assessor.

Profile picture for pjdh
  • pjdh
  • Contributions:26
Potential buyers know very little about how appraisals work and all they see is the low or high figure that Zillow puts out. They simply should not be allowed to estimate the value of anyone's home and post it on the internet. I am ready to sue and am going to look into it.

Profile picture for Dunes....
Going to...ought to....if you do I will..can prove..its obvious..

So SUE already!...a lot of huffin and puffin so get to blowin the house down if that's what you feel needs to be done..
Good Luck with your Lawsuit

Profile picture for pjdh
  • pjdh
  • Contributions:26
Thank you for your encouragement to put our actions where our mouths are. None the less people need to keep mouthing because once a class action starts those involved will have to be able to find one another. I am all for it but I don't know how to do it. I am sure it will take a big time lawyer who has some money to spend but it could be a huge payoff. There must be many thousands of people who have suffered damages due to Zillow's irresponsible behavior. I could care less about getting any money. I just want my house removed from this ridiculous site.

Here's a place to start.   (Tossed out of court as frivolous)

And others.

Have you had an opportunity to read section 10 and 11 of Zillow's Term's of Use:   .??

Profile picture for pjdh
  • pjdh
  • Contributions:26
I did not choose to use Zillow, so I could care less about their "Terms of Use." It is ridiculous to point to that.  People shopping for homes do not read Zillow's "Terms of Use" nor do the vast majority of them have intricate knowledge of how homes are appraised. Unfortunately, Zillow is one of the first websites to pop up anytime someone is house shopping and any honest real estate agent who actually sells houses on a regular basis will tell you that it has effected many buyer's perceptions and had adverse effects on the market value of some homes. Everything on Zillow's website is fair and useful EXCEPT for the "zestimates". There is nothing wrong with showing facts such as recent sales, average sales, etc, etc. But when they take it further and put a value on a person's home in such a context it is very misleading, unfair and hopefully it will soon be illegal.
If I start a website about your character and tear you to pieces, publicly malign you and hurt your chances to even get a job but I put a disclaimer in the "Terms of Use" page saying that my information is meant to be as accurate as possible but may not be perfectly accurate would you be happy with that? Of course not.

Factual/numerical evaluation on character of 100,000,000 members of the public - no problem.   Opinion based attack on character of one or a few - yes, I'd have a problem.  Zillow does the former, you propose the later.  Apples to oranges (or even mangos).

Failure to read terms of use - that has already been tossed out of court for other tech companies. 

Polished Concrete Floors
Profile picture for decopour
Latest reply by decopour
Seller lied on disclosure about septic
Profile picture for tagalong9
Latest reply by tagalong9
July 09 | 12 answers
How do you replace electrical wiring in a home? Costs?
Latest reply by user7705784
June 12 | 21 answers
Does putting a fence on your property, increase the value?
Profile picture for Shannon Biszantz
Latest reply by Shannon Biszantz
June 05 | 13 answers
Clogged Drain solutions....DIY-using softdrinks???
Profile picture for warchildbosnia
Latest reply by warchildbosnia
May 30 | 25 answers