RENT INCREASE FROM MY LANDLORD/OWNER OF THE HOUSE

My boyfriend and I have lived in this apartment for over 4years and the owner of the house has always been bad with making repairs.  We've had a flood due to leak in the roof coming from the upstairs apartment, we have holes in the closet, and kitchen. Many of the repairs my boyfriend has done through the years, like painting, plastering, fixing boiler, etc, and we deducted it from the rent and the owner agreed to it. We do not have a lease with him, it has been a month to month agreement. Now since he is spending money making repairs in the empty upstairs apartment fixing the roof he wants to now raise our rent by $250, and gave us less then one month notice.  We still need to talk to him about this but I want to know if he has a right to increas our rent by that much, with less then 1 month notice, no lease, and with repairs still pending on our apartment.  Thank you

March 04 2013 - Elmhurst

Here's a link to the NY tenant rights guide.

The warranty of habitability is a useful section to start in.  Usually the items that a landlord must keep in repair are the heat, plumbing and electricity as well as control pests. In my state,  holes in closets, old paint etc are not included in the repairs a landlord has to do.  Your landlord has been extremely generous allowing deductions in the rent for non-essential repairs.

There are some contacts at the end of the document who can help clarify your rights.

Is your apartment rent controlled?

You will have to research Landlord-Tenant rights for the City of New York in order to determine where you stand.  Whenever you are living without a written leasehold in place, you can find yourself in a deep gray area.  

If I had time to research it myself, I would - though, I am not a licensee in the State of New York.  You may want to contact an agent who specializes in leasing and present your situation.