Profile picture for zoeboesmom

Re/Max Professional Services Fee for buyer?

I just started working with a new Realtor that several other agents recommended because she works and lives in the niche market we are looking in. No agreements or anything signed. she showed me a few houses and I said I wanted to make an offer on one. I just got the P&S agreement and there is an Addendum attached that references our inspection contingency. then halfway down the next page, there is an "additional costs" that says we basically agree to a Professional Services Fee of $195 to Re/Max Specialist.

Is this typical? We didn't have anything like this in the last house we bought or in any offer we wrote with our previous Realtor.
  • January 27 2011 - US
  • 0

Best Answer

Profile picture for Connie Klemme

It's hard to say it's typical or not.  There seems to be some parts of the US where it's more common to charge buyer's fee and some areas where it's less.   Here's the thing...- there are a lot of opinions on the matter but the only one that really matters is yours.  Investigate what the Realtor is committing to you in return for that fee, is it different from someone that doesn't charge it?  I don't charge a fee but I am honestly undecided about the if it should be done and think in some circumstances I'd probaby pay it if I were the buyer but in others I would not- i wouldn't pay it simply because it was customary but I would pay it if I felt there was added value.

Profile picture for victoria1213
MY REMAX AGENT IN NORTH PORT FL NEVER MENTIONED THE JUNK FEE AS BUYERS AGENT BUT SHE PUT 495 DOLLAR FEE ON PURCHASE CONTRACT AS SHE WAS WALKING OUT DOOR MAGGIE DASILVA JOKE

Hi Zoe,
In no way should this be a reflection on re/max practices. This may be a practice in a particular re/max office or area but not in most re/max offices or agents..
talk to that agent and get it waived. If you didn't sign an agreement to work with this agent have them waive it or find an agent who does not charge this type of fee. Jim

I think the reason you may see some varying reactions to this fee is because not all brokerages charge it.

For those of us who have never even heard of such a thing because it isn't customary where we live, it can cause us to wonder how some brokerages justify it. 

I think it becomes Customary and Standard in some areas which causes acceptance of that which maybe shouldn't be acceptable, in my opinion.

Profile picture for zoeboesmom
They may pay it out of their own instead of losing our business, but is that fair? That's my real question. I am sure you can get a lot of businesses to cut their fees if you threaten them but should I? If it is standard and not unreasonable, I don't have a problem.

Profile picture for Marcin Talaga
Don't pay the fee.  If the agent chooses to work with a brokerage that charges this type of fee, then they'll pay it rather than lose your business.  The brokerage is getting paid from the deal anyway.  There is no reason for them to charge a fee.

Marcin 

Profile picture for zoeboesmom
Interesting responses. I don't necessarily have a problem with the fee. I was just curious. Thanks for your answers!

This IS typical with larg(er) franchises.  It can range from $150 to $400.  When i worked for a large firm, I had one Buyer refuse to pay it.  Guess who ended up with the fee?  Yep, I did.

I now own my own small firm, and I would never even think of charging the fee.

"They" say that it is a document handling fee.  But it is simply another way to offset expenses.  Kinda like a fuel surcharge.

I would agree that they can either lose the fee, or lose your business.

Profile picture for Chubb2283
I own a RE/MAX and this is not something that we are required to do as a franchise or an agent. 

Each office is different and we charge our agents a $50 transaction fee. I would be pissed if I found out one of our agents were passing this along to a buyer.

Things like that can ruin our RE/MAX brand. 

Michael, if your  brokerage charges such a ridiculous fee why do you stay there? There are other options available. Or is this a case where the brokerage charges you that fee and in return offers a bigger split?

Funny that 100's of agents come on this site and profess that it does not cost the buyer anything to use an agent.  What is funnier is that after collecting $1000's of dollars in commissions that they feel the need to pass on this junk fee.

'Expect the fee to go away instead of you'

Just so that you are aware, if you don't pay the administration fee, the agent will have to pay the fee. My brokerage charges a ridiculous $375 broker admin fee and they never let it just 'disappear'. Somebody pays.

I would refuse to sign it. That is a junk fee some companies add. Tell your realtor they are going to lose 1 thing. It can either be you as a buyer OR it can be that fee. The choice would then be theirs. (Expect the fee to go away instead of you)