Profile picture for ohana2

Ready to take next step towards approval.Is FHA,Homepath or conventional (if possible) best for me?

My FICO is 679, my current income is $48k/yr and my DTI is 20-22%. There is a bankruptcy showing on my credit report from 2008 that was dismissed before ever reaching approval stage, and was never refiled. I've recovered since then and I have solid payment and documentation for everything related to the report. I transitioned into a higher paying career last June and there is only a 30 day gap between employment. (May-June 2012). Please advise on how/who/where I should proceed. Thanks. 

May 13 2013 - Chicago

Reach out to a lender. Tony Lupescu 708-351-6416 is a great lender I use for all my buyers.

There are so many variables to consider, you really need to have this question answered by a lender. 

I'd recommend contacting 2-3 mortgage brokers who offer a variety of financing options through lending institutions, businesses and individuals. This is different than your big banks who only sell their own products. 

Reach out to a lender they will point you in the right direction.

Typically, the conventional loan is the best. The lower pmi (despite the slightly higher interest rate) is usually worth it in the long run. However, if you plan on selling the home within 1-3 years, it may not make much of a difference for you. It really depends on what long-term & short-term goals you have set for yourself & your family. 

I would speak with a lender. Call up a few and go with the one you mesh best with.

You will have more flexibility in choices with conventional if you are looking at condos. It depends on if you can get a conventional loan. My web site has some lender references. Give them a call and ask. They do not charge just to talk with you.