Profile picture for PorscheEwen

Real Estate Agent Courier Fees

My agent had a Agent-Client contract, and I paid a refundable $250 retainer fee that would be returned 1 week after closing. We just closed on our house. She is now saying that she is deducting all courier fees paid since becoming our agent from the retainer fee. This was not stated in the contract, and she never told us that sending documents to the seller etc. was our expense until she was supposed to return the retainer fee. She never stated anything would be /deducted from the retainer fee. Is she allowed to do this? Does this sound right?
  • December 27 2013 - US

Courtesy? Sounds more like she does not want to return the retainer. I would send her an email that you might have felt differently about the courier fees if she had asked for approval or explained them at the time, but that you will not agree to altering your written contract after the close. If she refuses to return the retainer or ignores you, contact her broker by email and stand your ground. 

Profile picture for pkelly18
The contract was in writing, and it didn't state anything like this. She told me that she didn't think to say anything because she never thought I would assume the charges were her expense. She said it is the buyer's responsibility to get the documents out, and that she did it as a courtesy to me. 

Sounds strange to me. If it isn't in writing it is not a contract!

Profile picture for Outer Banks N C
Agents have a boss in the office called a Broker. My guess is your agent is at an office that pays her a large % of the commission in turn for her paying for things like her phone calls, faxes, copies, pens, signs, desk space advertising and anything else. She is trying to make as much as she can off you, that's sad she is so greedy.

Did you ask or require you to use a courier service? I just fax or email documents. You can't beat Docusign.

In 25 years of doing this I never heard of a retainer fee before. What would make her worth doing that?

tim