Real estate in India / China

Is there an easy way to invest in RE in these two countries? This could be a good one to do because they are booming. Please post your ideas.

January 31 2008 - US

Profile picture for 2 Big 2 Fail

I am not sure it is possible to buy RE in China since it is Communist.  I think the government owns all of the RE, except for Hong Kong. 

February 01 2008

It's possible, but probably not in the way that you might first imagine.  You'd have to consult with an attorney on the details (they vary for each country), but I believe that both China and India have some pretty tight restrictions on how can own title to real estate (as do most countries that were former European colonies). 

From what I remember from my preliminary research into this topic several years ago, you would need a partner who is a nationalized citizen of the country (or own a share in a holding company, whose majority shareholders had to be nationalized citizens).  That entity would have to hold title.  You could invest in real estate through the conduit, but your claim on the value of the property would depend upon the strength of your contract with that entity, not the property itself.  Many times, "investment opportunities" offered in oversees real estate are scams preying on foreigners who don't fully appreciate the complexities of local laws, so you would absolutely need a great attorney to protect your interests.

So it's probably doable, but there would be significant complications and risks that would have to be overcome (with the assistance of a competent attorney) that wouldn't be present in a domestic real estate transaction.  And that's just the legal risk--there's a whole other set of market and currency risks associated with a foreign investment.

It's possible to make money, but there are a lot of risks and other factors that you would need to consider.  And you absolutely need the expertise of a real estate attorney to navigate through that, not some yahoo on an internet board. :)

Good luck,

Walt

February 02 2008

Probably the easiest way to get your hands on it indirectly is through an REIT.  Goldman Sach's has a good one, GREAX, and I'm sure there are others.  Grab a financial consultant or stock broker and ask him about some of these ideas.

February 10 2008

There are other hot RE markets. I just spent several weeks in Bahrain researching this area. To see investment opportunities in Bahrain go to the website I created while there, www.bahrain-investment.com

You can contact me with any further questions.

February 10 2008

Don't buy in India, they still has squaters rights and VERY corrupt, even though it's the world's largest democracy.

February 11 2008
Profile picture for Jay MBA

That is not true Michel, India is the best BRIC opportunity I see with a lot of Foreing Institutional Investors pouring their money in INDIAN REAL ESTATE. Thank god I did not stand still and bought some land there. I get reports and inquiries from the developers with offers unbelivable due to the high barrier shortage of land, and scarcity of land to support such exploding growth these 1 billion people are seeing that they have never seen in their or their three generations lifetimes.

February 12 2008

Well Jay, I know for a fact how it works there.  My in-laws have property in Mumbai and are dealing with squaters and as are several of their friends.   The main problem, is you must be there, once it gets out that the owner is out of country, all hell can break loose.  I have friends who are 5 years into a lawsuit to remove squaters.  And it seems you are taking about land and/or new construction.  Making the initial investment is one thing, being the owner of the property is another. 

February 12 2008

Should we invest in rental homes in Memphis?
Profile picture for Alex Craig
Latest reply by Alex Craig
July 15 | 17 answers
Scam or Legit? Real estate Training Programs
Latest reply by sunnyview
May 09 | 38 answers
  • Posted by randynlogan
  • In Investing
House Flipping in Southern California
Profile picture for Adrian Chu
Latest reply by Adrian Chu
April 20 | 25 answers
  • Posted by Nick Benavides
  • In Investing
Econohomes
Profile picture for cushy6
Latest reply by cushy6
April 10 | 19 answers