Realtor Associations on the Decline

Here's a hot item for discussion;
Remember classified ads?? Craig's List basically put them out of business. Now, Zillow is becoming a serious challenge to the MLS. I've done a couple deals that never involved the MLS. Just posted the listing on Zillow and found a buyer. The buyer used a broker and we co-op'd her. I kept all my commissions, she split hers with her broker. The title company made everything right. The local Realtor association has it's undies all bunched up about these deals.
So, here come the industry changes, again. I understand that those with a financial interest in the legacy (NAR) model will complain loudly - just like the newspapers.
Already, Realtor.com is useless as it does NOT include ALL the available listings - but Zillow does !
In Colorado - Non Realtors have full access to the MLS - because they were sued and lost. Local brokers here are advertising " DON'T use a Realtor - Keep more of your home equity "
Let the screaming begin!
  • October 22 2013 - US
  • 1

Do you think that dropping membership is a result of the economy or a new shift in how the national association is perceived by the public or agents themselves?

It would be nice to have a professional association with group benefits, but with a focus on their membership as opposed to outside interests. It sure seemed like the NAR used to be more that way, but the focus seems to have shifted pretty dramatically over the last decade.

Y'know, may be, but I've heard it a thousand times before.

May sound like a sweet deal up front but the money paid to agents really helps limit the buyer & seller's risk.   Approximately 80% of lawsuits are filed by buyers - you are putting everything at risk to when not hiring a professional. 

Pricing a home is extremely important and the average FSBO I've found for my clients has sold below appraisal value minus the potential listing agent's commission - the seller's definitely lost you.  An experienced buyer's agent can pick apart a home and eat a nonprofessional agent/negotiator for breakfast because that's what they do every day. For example, I take my car to the mechanic to change the brakes because mechanics have the tools and knowledge that will protect my investment and keep me safe if anything were to go wrong. 

There hasn't been much talk on the boards about using Zillow as the primary marketing outlet, but just today this person has a differing view of the effectiveness of Zillow . . . http://www.zillow.com/advice-thread/Why-not-even-one-inquiry/516278/