Profile picture for ms hudson

Realtor for Renting?

I'm looking to rent a house in a different (but close) city in about 3.5-4 months. I have always rented apartments and had no problems. I just recently learned that some people hire a realtor when looking for a rental property. What are the pro's and cons of this? and cost? I am sure this is just ignorance on my part, but what can a realtor do for me when renting that I couldn't research and do myself? 
  • April 15 2013 - New Braunfels
  • 0

Profile picture for ms hudson
Wow, I was surprised to see this thread light back up! Wetdawgs: I ended up staying in my apartment for now. I couldnt get over the fact that I could only get a good idea of homes available 30-45 days out from being available. This was just to short of notice when my apartment requires 60-day move out notice. I'll start the search up again in the spring. Thanks for asking! 

In response to the comment about none of the agents mentioning the cons, I don't agree with the assumptions just made. 
Assumption #1) Agents only send properties that pay a referral fee. 
Response:  I would say that most agents just send all properties regardless of referrals offered.  There is very little money in apartment referrals, so we do it to help out and maybe later be the one to help them get into a house.
Assumption #2) The Agent will charge the client if they no referral is paid. 
Response:  Can't imagine an agent doing that, but just don't agree to it. 

Point:  An agent helping you with rentals is operating in almost charity mode, so treat them right.  When you do get a rental, let them know you have an agent.  You aren't going to get a better deal by denying your agent.

While this is an old thread, it is surprising that none of the agents came up with cons.

The biggest argument against using an agent is many landlords of single family homes (what the OP was looking for) won't pay the agent's fees, therefore, either a large number of properties will not be in their search or the person looking will have a lot of extra costs in finding a rental.   "representation for free" is a bit of a misnomer.

user2260413 - how did your search go?

I agree, but while most Realtors can work with house rentals, fewer of us have the tools and experience to add value to your apartment search. Ask your Realtor directly what tools they use or have them send you an example. I used to think that I could get a better deal without a Realtor, but that isn't true. Discounts like 50% off first month are not impacted by any referral fees paid by the apartment complex to the Realtor. Why not use a Realtor ... You get representation for free.

Good news is when using a Realtor, you shouldn't be charged. We get paid by the leaser or apartment complex. While true, you could do many of the same tasks as a Realtor, but we have access to many more tools than you would. We can see what is available without having to call each place you are interested in. If your Realtor is decent at his job, they might even be able to get you a better rate then what is advertised.

You also don't have to worry about being up sold or pressured to sign like you do when you go to these apartment complexes. 

Talk to a Realtor you trust in New Braunfels and they can recommend some good Realtors in the city you are moving to.

Most agents will be more than happy to assist you with a rental, even if it isn't specified on their profile. A good agent is in the service business, not just sales! The commission paid to the agent comes from the Leasor side, so nope, not free entirely. Yet, no cost to you! Good luck

Profile picture for ms hudson
I looked on the "find a pro" section but nothing on there specifies if a realtor works with finding rentals. And they really do this for free?!? 

Profile picture for ms hudson
Thanks guys! Now, how do I go about getting a realtor? I'm assuming I need one in the city I'm thinking of moving to, but do I just call up random realtors and ask if they work with finding rentals? Maybe look up the BBB website to see recommended realtors? How far in advance do I contact the realtor? I know in a previous question people said to pursue postings about a month before anticipated move-in. Is this the same if I use a realtor or do I need to get in touch with someone more in advance? 

PS. You all on here ROCK! 

Pros
They can send you rental listings so you don't have to spend hours searching the internet yourself
They can let you into homes that are listed on the MLS
They can negotiate rental rates for you
They can submit the contract paperwork for you
It doesn't cost you anything

Cons
None that I can think of

Using an agent for a rental is a good idea; and most times at no cost to you.  Agents have access to rentals that may not be readily available to you, and can work on your behalf to get in in the home (negotiating rental rates, deposit requirements, etc.).  Perhaps a biased statement, but I don't see a con.  It's a win-win to have someone in your court with local knowledge

/
/