Profile picture for nubianqueen926

Reasonable response time from a Real Estate Agent

I've contacted several Real Estate agents in my area to schedule a showing of various properties via email or phone and I either get no response or they've responded after 7 days.  Now granted I am an investor interested in properties that are in blue collar, transitioning neighborhoods priced between $100,000 to $150,000, so not a huge commission for the agent, but is this "response attitude/time" reasonable or the "industry standard"?

• January 05 2008 - US
  • 0

No, this is not reasonable.  If you tell me what area you're looking for homes in I'd be glad to refer you to a "Local" agent in that area that will take great care of you.

Profile picture for nubianqueen926

I am in the Chicago area

Profile picture for broker_GRI

Unacceptable. Call the broker and let them know. Those sellers are being given a huge disservice and yes find representation in the area

Profile picture for Alan May

nubia...

I am also in the Chicago area... and I can tell you, investor or not... you should be getting calls back same day.  Yes, things have been a little sleepy lately, due to the holidays, and the severe cold, and 7-8 inches of snow... but phones continue to work.

I agree with the red-headed wonder, that you should contact their broker, and complain.  If sellers had any idea how many sub-standard agents actually end up being an impediment to their sale, they would be apoplectic!!

Profile picture for nubianqueen926

Thanks everyone.  I never thought of complaining to the broker.  That is an excellent idea!  Well, my next question is for the Chicago area Real Estate agents:

Could you refer an agent that has experience in investment properties, reo properties/foreclosures?  Location - South Chicago.  In addition, professionalism is  key b/c I am so fed up with the lack of professionalism I've received from many agents in Chicago.  It is now to the point where I try to work without representation from an agent, but I still have to deal with unreturned  or untimely response to calls from the sellers' agents.  I

Profile picture for Pacita Dimacali

Here's another suggestion...

For income properties, visit www.loopnet.com and see how many agents in the areas you're interested in post their listings on this site.

You can also check Realtor.com --- compare how the agents promote their listings.  How many post a lot of pictures (the maximum now is 25 pictures). How many offer virtual tours? How many "showcase" their listing.

If a realtor takes care of his sellers by giving them the best possible service that should include maximizing marketability of a property he/she is selling in the most often used and referred to website, chances are that realtor will take just as good care of his/her Buyers as he/she does the Seller.

As for foreclosures, try www.reotrans.com to find foreclosures in your area. This won't be a complete list, but it will show quite a few.

Finally, when you do select a realtor, ask your realtor to provide you with such a list of foreclosures and NOD(notice of default). Buying a foreclosure/short sale, etc. may not be the most pleasant experience, however. If you have the time, the patience and a large downpayment (banks will require this most of the time), then continue your pursuit along those lines.

And yes, I agree with the other posters --- you should have received a response from the realtors you contacted within a day --- and even better, in a few hours! During this interesting times, a Buyer is worth his/her weight in gold and should be treated with utmost care!

Profile picture for Alan May

You betcha... how about :

Ken Snedegar

Prairie Shore Properties

773.398.7314

Tell him that Elvis sent you... he's with a small, but effective, boutique shop in Lincoln Park.  Young, nice guy, and highly qualified.

Profile picture for broker_GRI

Awe... shucks Elv!s

Cute Avatar BTW