Reasonable time for my buyer's agent to return a call/email?

I have been working with my agent for 2 weeks now.  I provided him with a pre-approval letter for $150k and a list of homes I liked on zillow. We looked at 5 houses last weekend and I put in an offer on a HUD home at the asking price, no conditions and not asking for closing costs.  However, I still didn't win.  I'm telling you this just to show that I'm serious about purchasing a home.

So I gave him a list of 4 other homes that I wanted to look at.  But he hasn't returned my email or phone call today.  Is this normal?  I told him that I would like to close ASAP because my lease is up at the end of March. 

Maybe it's just me fretting about the looming end to my lease...

January 31 2013 - US

You being an agents client, I would say a phone call or email would need to be returned in 2 hours. If not the agent needs to manage his or her time better because it's important to build that relationship with your client to build a sense of trust and understanding instead of leaving you floating in the wind

February 05 2013
I think the agent already showed the ability to return your calls, show homes & write contracts on your behalf. I think it is not rational to think that a phone call should be returned after business hours. Since you were supplied a list of homes from this forum, how do you know they were not all sold or under contract? That would make the whole event worthless. Searching directly in the MLS is still the best way to find the latest list of homes available.
Just because you bid on a HUD home, doesn't make you the only buyer in your price range. I had put in a bid on a small townhouse where there were 36 other bids on it!  All were over list price.  It is very competative out there in some price ranges.
Possibly you should see about extending your lease on a month to month basis to take the pressure off the situation as you mentioned.

February 05 2013
I agree wit Josh, three hours max to return emails and calls.  Try callig and emailig NOW. Let them knw it is urgent. If no answer in 3 hours, go to next agent on your list.

February 01 2013
I would suggest you follow up with your agent again.  Voice your concerns that your lease is about to expire and you need to find a home ASAP.  Advise that if the agent is busy - you understand, but that you need to find someone who is available to assist.  I hope it works out for you.

February 01 2013
OMG, not good. Two choices, inquire with the managing broker about the whereabouts of your agent, then consider if you want to switch agents. Good luck!

February 01 2013
I hear this scenario time and time again and most of the time it's because the agent is biting off more than he/she can chew. You deserve an agent that will make sure you are kept a priority. If you don't service your client you can be sure someone else will! Good luck with everything I would mention to the agent when they do call that you are very concerned and on a very time sensitive time table. 

I'm sure it will all work out in the end, good luck! 

February 01 2013

Right away! That is why I have an assistant. You should be able to talk to someone especially when that person is representing you.

February 01 2013
For urgent matters same day (ie within a small time span) and for non-urgent matters it varies from 3+ hours to the following morning.  This is what I do for my clients if I am not sick or in a personal emergency.

February 01 2013
3 hours

February 01 2013
I emailed him the list wednesday night Jan 29 at around 7 or 8.  Then I called him the next day (Thursday) at around lunch.  I still have not heard back (friday morning).

February 01 2013
You do not say how long have you waited for the call to be returned and how many callls you left for him.  What is reasonable for you?  If you do not hear from the agent, within the time you consider to be reasonable, then call back again and then again, depending on your level of urgency.  I assume that your agent must also have other clients, showings, inspections and closings to attend to.  Bring your displeasure to the attention of the buyer agent, though.  Communication is very important in any realtionship.

February 01 2013
I am an exclusive buyer agent and I think in today's high-tech world with so many mobile communication options there should be no excuse for a lag in communication. You may have a case for abandonment if you have not heard from your buyer's agent within a few hours.

February 01 2013
You don't say when you gave him the list of homes so it is difficult to know how long you have been waiting for a response. Personally, it would be very unusual for me not to respond within an hour or two max unless I was on a course or something like that. Anything more than hals a day seems ridiculous to me.

Sometimes we get a little over active and one message or call gets buried in the inbox or call log.  An SMS or a follow up call will help us get back on track to help you.

Have your tried text message? That seems to work. I have received calls late as 12midnight from clients and have answered those late calls, of course hubby was not happy, I am sure you will be hearing from your agent soon if not already  :) The public likes to think we are super agents and yes, some are but most of us have families and sometimes real life issues seem to get in the way of conducting business. Best wishes!

Profile picture for Todd Bush

There could be several reasons your agent was unable to contact you throughout the day. Remember, we still have families and other clients.
Perhaps your agent had appointments scheduled with another client today. If he/she is like me, the client currently in front of me gets my attention during our time together. With that being said, I also try and return calls even if it is to say I got your message. Or perhaps your agent simply scheduled today off for personal/family time. Another possibility is he/she is researching the properties you are interested in so they have answers to questions you may have before they contact you.

Either way, I am confident your agent will contact you, but a follow up in the morning would't hurt. Another option is to call the agents office, often times, a fellow agent is willing to assist in their absence.

Hope this is a little reassuring for you, and best of luck on your house hunt!
Todd