Profile picture for johncr12

Refi #135000 at a fixed rate on limited income [see below ]

WHAT IS THE BEST LOAN TO REFI $135000 ON HOUSE Valued $220000 IN BEAVERTON ORE FOR 2 RETIREES?

PRESENTLY OUR PMT [PITI  $1289/M ] AND WE HAVE 22 YR LEFT @ 5.625% ON 135K : 

OUR TOTAL INCOME IS AS FOLLOWS:  SS/M $2690. AND PENSION $1300/M OR  A TOTAL INCOME $3990/M
WE CAN STAY WITH THE 5.65 LOAN OR ??REFI
Is there a loan that you can suggest for the above?

House was appraised out 6 months ago for $240000.  Zillow appraises it for $220K
  • December 21 2011 - Beaverton
  • 1

Best Answer

I would suggest a regular conforming loan.  You should be able to find an amazing rate (assuming your credit scores are good)!

Frankly, I am not able to provide any consumer with a "this is the loan for you" without doing the due diligence of comparison of loans and terms...and your goals.  A lower payment may be in your best interest, and the highest on your goal list.  However, a level or slightly higher payment, may be a better option if you want to live debt free in the future.  Do you want to have a house payment "forever and ever" or do you want to live debt free?    Is the lowest possible payment a priority?  Or, is the lowest possible loan costs more important?

As a mortgage professional, I cannot give proper counsel unless I START with the clients goals and desires.  Once those are known, I can mesh them the lending guidelines and requirements to provide the consumer with options that are possible.

I will be activating my Oregon license after the first of the year...in the meantime, I can provide a contact in my company (licensed) who has the same "consumer first" state of mind.

There are many factors to consider...a rate quote, especially in this environment, will not serve you well. If you want an estimate that will hold water I would find a reputable loan officer to provide you with a quote following a complete loan application.  

Profile picture for johncr12
We owe zero! What would $135000 balance come to with a 20 Yr loan  and at what rate APR? Our credit scores are above 750 according to one source. We do not carry credit for more than 30 days. We've been fortunate! I'm a vet but a VA loan is usually higher.
We started to do a refi back in june so we had an appraiser of lenders choice -appraise the property! We just put 70K into the property in upgrades. House is pristine!

I would suggest a 20yr Conforming so that you do not add years to your loan and accelrate the pay off - what other debt do you have besides the mortgage?

I would compare both HARP aka DU Refi pricing to Conventional. You could possibly get a waiver on the appraisal under HARP and avoid the expense of an appraisal. 

Zillow valuation is not one I would hang my hat on... FYI.