Profile picture for AnthonyPriest

Refi w/ 686 Credit Score

I know that the 80/15/5 mortgages are coming back available I was curious if there's anyone offering these that would accept an applicant with a 686 credit score.  I've done a lot to improve my credit but there's really nothing more for me to do other than wait.  But I really want to Refi out of our FHA loan with obscene MI charges for the life of the loan.

April 28 - Ramona

There are no 80/15/5 programs that I am currently aware of. There are 80/10/10 programs, but the middle score needs to be a 700. you are only 14 points away so there may be something you can do via a rapid rescore to get the scores up. I am not certain as to when you got into your loan, but there is a possibility based on the market improvements that an appraisal may just get you to the 90%. A comp analysis can be done to look at this. You should be able to get a free credit analysis and have a "What-if Simulator" run against your credit (at no charge to you) to determine score improvement options so that you know the exact options for this. It won't cost you anything but a little bit of time to connect with a Mortgage Professional for both a free credit & loan analysis to determine your exact options and whether or not there is any benefit for you at this time. Often times, it is just connecting with the right professional. All the best!

April 29

It sounds like you've been in your loan for some time. Is the 80/15/5 structure based on how you bought the home? I assume so. Because time has gone on, and my bets are that you're at a 80/10 structure. If that's the case, you can do an 80/10.

Hope this helps.

April 28
What's the current loan amount?

April 28
80/10/10 is the closest that i can think of that would allow you to remove the MI but you would need at least a 720 credit score.

your probably better off sitting tight for now and staying in the FHA loan

April 28
Profile picture for AnthonyPriest
Thanks Michael,  We've got 93% LTV at the moment and generally I'm finding that a conventional ReFi isn't really worth the time.  Unless we can get under 90% LTV the MI on the conventional is almost the same as the FHA MIP.  So the savings don't generally justify the cost of the refi.  I have a feeling though that if we can eliminate MI altogether even with a higher interest rate we could realize some better monthly savings and have it make sense. 

April 28
I don't offer 80/15/5, however you could always look at conventional 95%LTV, still has an MI premium but is removable once you reach the 80%LTV threshold, There is also an upfront premium option we could look in to.

Feel free to contact me with further questions and best of luck!

April 28