Profile picture for pgl3d

Refinance? Condo in McLean, VA - Used to be Primary Residence, Now Investment Property

I own a condo in McLean Virginia (purchased in 2004 with a 7/1 ARM whose 4.5% interest rate will become adjustable in 4/2011) that I lived in until 6/2008 when I moved to Chicago IL for business school.  The condo is worth much more than the outstanding balance on the loan (>$100k equity in home).  It is likely I will be moving to Atlanta after business school for at least a couple of years.  Should I refinance this loan now (because it is now a rental property some lenders are quoting like 5.5% which seems high for a 30 yr fixed) or should I wait until closer to when the 7 years run out on my 7/1 ARM? 
  • January 25 2010 - Mc Lean
  • 0

I agree, the bird in the hand way better than two in the bush in this uncertain market....Jim

5.5% is high? You aren't expecting the same rate as an owner occupied property are you?

If you think 5.5% is high, wait til you see what the rates are in 2011 on Investor props. 

You have a bird in hand,....take it.