Refinance after short sale

We lived and own a home in MD bought in 2005. In 2009 bought another home here. Rented out 2005 home for a while but then did a short sale on it approximately 1 month ago.  I'd like to know if I can now refinance my 2009 MD home, which is current? 2005 home that was short sold was conventional loan, 2009 home that I want to refi is FHA. I hear a lot about not being able to BUY for 2 years+ after a short sale but an unsure about refi.  Thanks anyone for info.   Michael

April 30 2012 - Windsor Mill

With FHA financing just 3 years after a short sale (with late payments) is needed - if your mortgage payments & other debt payments were on time for the 12 months leading up to the short sale, then you could've refinance with FHA right after the short sale (no wait).

There is no hard fast rule here. Call your mortgage company that has the loan currently. If the loan is in good status and you have decent equity, there is a very real possibiliy they will do a refi for you. Short sales occur for a myriad of reasons. If the rest of your bills are current, and your credit is good except for the short sale, they may do it. Call... what's the worse that will happen? They say no? Take a chance.... do it!!

Thanks Jay, maybe Loan modification is the best solution for me?

You won't be able to get it done for at least 2 years & you'll have to wait 3 years if you were delinquent at the time of the short sale.