Refinance vs Home Equity Loan vs HELOC

I am looking at possibly purchasing an investment property for around 60k.  I currently have one other investment property, worth approximately 100k with 35k remaining on that mortgage.  I will need at least 20k for the down payment on the new property, but don't have the cash to do it.  Would it make more sense to refinance the first rental property to take money out, or do Home Equity Loan, or a HELOC?

September 12 2013 - Cloquet

I agree with Steve, you may have a difficult time trying to get a HELOC on an investment property.  The "cash out refinance" on the investment may be a viable option to generate the liquid cash you need.  With rates still low you can access the equity you need and get a fixed rate mortgage on your equity.  

A HELOC on an investment property would be tough to find.  I am refinancing my rental right now that I purchased 8 months ago.  It is possible to do a cash-out refinance up to 75% of the current appraised value as long as you have owned it for 6 months.  This is a Freddie program, so you get the best rates as well.

I think it is better to keep the debt on the investment properties instead of taking a loan on your primary residence for tax purposes.  I could be wrong (check with your CPA) but I believe you cannot put mortgage interest for liens on your primary residence on the schedule E.

So, you could take a loan for 75k, pay off the 35k and after costs you should have about 35k or more to work with.  You would have the down payment cash and some rehab money if needed.  I can recommend a good local bank who has an awesome rehab purchase product as well if you need it.