Regarding sending out copies of my for sale listing

Is it legal, appropriate, or even advisable to paper copy my for sale Zillow listing and drop them off or mail them to select agents in my area?
  • October 28 2013 - Ocala
  • 0

Profile picture for CallTheSisters
The comps are the new starts with an adjustment for added square footage.

If you do not believe the real estate agents are accurate pay for an appraisal.  If the home won't appraise a buyer cannot get financing. 

While you may dismiss granite - it is expected in homes of this price range.

OK, well, then, you've got comps!

P.S.   I am a strong supporter of FSBO, but do know that many who go that route are very unrealistic about price.

You can ask whatever you want, but the true market value is what someone will pay.

How many showings have you had so far?  The first two weeks are telling as that is when the tsunami of buyers will come through.

Make your photos support the "wow" factor you describe in your text.   At the moment they are pretty generic with no "wow"

Thanks for sharing your justification on price.   As you purchased the house at a discount from what the builder was asking, that established the market value.    Now your home is a used home, and the cost of upgrades doesn't add dollar for dollar to the price of your home.  Many of them add about 25 cents on the dollar.   In addition, prices in Ocala are still lower than they were when you purchased.   

While asking prices may be useful, the better number is the actual sales prices.   It will help you if some of the properties that are being built in the neighborhood are actually sold.    If your home is 50% bigger that the home that sells, then it may carry a 15 to 20% higher price. 

Additional rules of thumb:    A single story home is considerably more $/sq foot than a two story home.  This is both in construction costs as well as market value.     A smaller home on a similar size lot is more per home square foot than a larger home - this is also true with construction costs and market value.

Your success will be what counts, so do report back when you sell and your actual sales price.  I'll eat my hat if it sells in before New Years at your current asking price.    

• Call The Sisters, "Call The Sisters" In regards to your interesting points, I will respond. First, the 160k above what I paid. First, I negotiated the price the builder wanted from 240K, since the home came with 30-35k of extras above the base model. Second, comparing to the one level homes in my community, does 2 additional bedrooms, larger bedrooms, 3 additional baths, 3 car garage, and a large second floor loft justify 160k; I think so, About the granite tops; personally I don't like them. Especially I dislike the granite I have seen in most Ocala homes; they look like restaurant tops. If you want to really discuss granite, than lets talk of those sold in Miami or Bell Tile in NJ where they come off the boat; now those are tiles. Besides, if I had installed tile, my asking price would be 368k; not 348.  I

wetdawgs: Your opinion was indeed highly informative and you have great insight. Regarding the photos; I agree they can be better and of course I can add more. The price justification is interesting since it "was a failed community" when purchased. The first market price (that was short lived because of the fact all construction halted due to some wildlife issue) was
240k and the house had 30k of add on/improvements over the base model.
But, over the past year or more we have suddenly started to enter a relative boom. For example, around 7 homes are new starts and overall I think we will fill up quickly (pending economic conditions). There are no community recreation as yet; but, Home owner fees are low. One of the unfinished homes with 4 bedrooms, roughly 3000 sq ft is marketed around 244k. To build my home from scratch using the current builders, I have been told would cost 360-380k. (They have no intentions of building this large a home). Thus; a family who wants a large home, gated community of new mostly new construction, and with eye appeal - there are no other comps at this price. Also, it it any better to live in a filled up community which similer homes but with half of them on the short sale or foreclosure list, This home has a "clean history", as does the community. As far as security and gate officers, Since construction people come and go like fleas now, that issue is a non issue. Even one of the two gates must remain open during the day. All this will change as we grow; and grow we are. 

My humble opinion (as a consumer, not an agent) is that you would get far more bang for the buck doing more upfront work before considering sending your listing out to agents.

a.  Improve your photos.   The front is okay, but how about the back yard?   Any bathrooms in the house?   The kitchen is the center of home life for many of us, yet the photo is through chairs.  

b.  Get an appraisal (at your cost) to identify a realistic price. Prices in Ocala do not appear to have rebounded to March 2010 prices, but you are asking 85% higher than you paid in March 2010 with no justification in your description.    It appears that your home is in a subdivision where development failed so is mainly empty lots (even if it is gated).  Therefore, it is  not surprising there are no immediate comps.   Your tax assessment has gone down considerably since 2010.

c.  Be honest in your description.  "newest gated community" causes a shudder when one sees the home was built in 2008 and most lots are still vacant.   What are the benefits of this gated community?  Are there any gates?  Community swimming pool and recreation center?  Security?  Parks and walking trails?  A play ground?  anything else?

d.   When you've fixed all those things, getting your listing in front of the world.  At the moment, I only find it on Zillow. 

Good luck.   FSBO is not easy, but it can be done.  The first step is to detach yourself emotionally from your home and turn it into something you want to sell.  

That's unusual, in one regard, but we've all had that situation in our careers. Tell us - how did you decide how much it was worth when you bought it?

If course I am assuming I will pay the appropriate commission to the agent. In fact, if the agent and I agreed on the listing price, I would be delighted to remove the FSBO and let the agent become the my agent. In this case there is one, and only one, problem. There truly are no comps for my home. Indeed it is frustrating to continue to have agents pull comp listings that tend to put a square cork in a round bottle; amazing how they try to pull that off. My most recent interviewed agent pulled comps from an area 15 miles away and I do not live in a rural area. 

Profile picture for j3350489
If your letter does say your paying a buyers agent I would throw it right in the trash . You would be wasting a lot of time and money .

Profile picture for CallTheSisters
I just looked at your listing.  It was last sold in 2010 for 188K  What have you done since you owned it to make it worth 160K more?  That's the first question a real estate agent will ask you.

How much has the Ocala market appreciated since 2010?  I just cruised homes for sale and saw several with similar elevations and square footage for less money.

Your photos are not good.  One picture of the kitchen looking through chairs.  Can't tell what the counter looks like. Granite? Formica? Stock oak cabinets.  Nothing special.  Bedrooms that feature beds and not rooms.  No bathroom? No exterior of the back or the yard. 

People looking on the internet for homes are looking at pictures not reading words.

Profile picture for CallTheSisters
It is legal.  In this day and age hardly anyone goes into an office.  We all telecommute.

As Kendra stated if you are not offering a buyers agent commission no one will look at it.

Legal, sure. Appropriate? Why not? Advisable? Hmmm . . . 

In my area, we never look at the mail. I check my drop file once every couple of weeks or so - any important documents are emailed nowadays. We have a tray in our office where FSBOs leave their flyers, I haven't looked through it in years.

I think that if you want to reach us, you need to enter the listing into the MLS.

You can advertise your home for sale to agents however be prepared to offer a showing fee of at least 3-4%.  If you don't offer up a commission for them to bring buyers then they will only show the listings that are already listed on the MLS offering them commission at 3-4%