Profile picture for AshlynNorris

Rehab loan question

My husband and I are interested in buying a rehab home, then fixing it up for our adult child and family to live in. Since it will not be our primary home, I don't think we can qualify for a 203k loan. It is listed as a cash only or rehab loan. What is the best way to finance the home? Because it is a rehab, I am thinking we can't even qualify for a traditional loan. When our familyis ready to buy their own home, we plan to turn it into a rental property. Any ideas would be appreciated.
  • June 10 2012 - US
  • 0

Profile picture for Connie Klemme

conventional loans typically will work with homes in those condition, but the lender will most likely want 20% down and since you said " I am thinking we can't even qualify for a traditional loan" then this might not be an option.  If you are just thinking that because of the condition and do have the 20% to put down then talk to a lender.

I have not known of anyone getting an FHA loan even on a property in good condition if they aren't going to occupy as their primary residence.  That is really the problem.  Perhaps your son can qualify with assistance from you?

There are a number of options available in Oklahoma; you don't say where you are. There are second home, and investment home loans that are "rehab" type...some with as little as 5% down payment. I have a client that is doing a conventional rehab loan through Quicken.

Homepath renovation financing is attractive and available for second homes and investor homes: Homepath Renovation

Even considering all of the information that you can find online these days - I would still recommend first and foremost sitting down with a lender and going over all of your options. A great lender will be very accommodating in explaining everything to you and answering any questions about the different avenues to this type of home ownership. Good luck!