Profile picture for lamichigan

Relocating to Tampa, FL & seek advice for elementary public/private schools

I am relocating to Tampa, FL and have a 1st grader who is spanish/english bilingual and  would like to continue this educational direction whether private/public/magnet.  In addition, I would like honest information regarding the neighborhoods; my interest is in a safe, family friendly, well maintained neighborhood with nearby shopping, grocery stores, etc.  If anyone is willing to share their experience I would be very grateful.
  • July 05 2009 - Tampa
  • 0

I live in New Tampa and have 5 children, 3 in elementary and 2 in middle school.  They all went to Hunter's Green Elementary and I was very happy with it.  All of the elementary schools in New Tampa are highly rated. I don't know about the Spanish exposure though.  My children didn't start Spanish until Middle School.  New Tampa is a great place for families.  It is safe, family oriented, well cared for and has everything you need within a few miles including a brand new mall, 24 hour Wal-Mart, Super Target, etc.  I've lived in Tampa for 20 years and moved here from Dearborn, MI.  I've lived in many different areas of Tampa, but chose to settle down in New Tampa once I had children.  If you have any questions please feel free to send me a message at Loree@welovetampa.com

You must be excited about your upcoming move!  The Tampa area has a lot to offer.  Many children in this area are bilingual and I am confident that you will be able to find educational experiences appropriate for your child's continued development.  The link below will take you to a website where you can do area school comparisons, in addition to information particular to each school.

http://www.schoolmatch.com/

I am an area realtor and have knowledge of various communities that would meet your needs.  If you would like to contact me directly for specific information, you may reach me at tammyreed@hotmail.com 

Good luck with your move!  

Profile picture for AlmaKee
http://www.sdhc.k12.fl.us/magnet/elementary.asp

You may want to consider either the IB or language magnet schools.  It may result in a very long bus ride for your child so you may want to factor that into your decision where to live.

Of course parents will carpool--especially from higher end planned communities like Westchase, Tampa Palms, Hunters Green, Arbor Greene, Westwood Meadows, FishHawk Ranch, etc.

One thing to consider is the amount of extra CDD tax you will pay in many of the planned communities.  It can amount to as much as $2k to $3k.  Also some areas have high incidents of Radon Gas exposure or sinkholes so that's something unique to the Tampa Bay area that you should be informed about before making a buying decision.

Hope this helps you.