Relocation Scam or Legit?

Hoping someone on here has had this issue and wondering if there is an option to the following scenario:

About a month ago I was contacted direct from a buyer that is relocating from another state to my area.  She saw how active I was in the area, interviewed me over the phone and decided she would like to work with me.  She has been working with me since and we have gone out and looked at homes a number of times.  Her company is arranging a relo-package for her and I just got off the phone with them stating that she can work with me once I am put in the system and also agree to pay them a 38% referral fee.  Referral fee for someone they didn't refer me is the issue?  If they referred me great, in this case I feel as though its their way of legal robbery, any thoughts? Thanks!

• October 26 2010 - Staten Island
  • 0

You might be able to negotiate with the Relo company as you had a past relationship with the client before she signed with the Relo company. But might is a pretty slim chance. If her company is paying the bill for her move, you might not have any choice but to share your commission.

The 38 percent haircut is pretty common in the industry and I don't know a single agent that doesn't hate it. In some situations you end up paying out commission to TWO relo companies, leaving you with maybe a third of the commission.

Hey Nick, I meant her company has an agreement with a relocation company who had called me on the phone in order to send me a referral agreement and application for me to be in their(relo-co.) system.  Thanks!

Hey- When you say her company do you mean her employer or a relocation company they are working with?