Profile picture for janesbg

Remodeling my kitchen - granite or quartz countertops?

I am remodeling my kitchen and can't decide between granite or quartz.  I am worried that granite might be on the way out.  Thoughts?
  • March 14 2010 - Charlestown Township

Best Answer

Granite definitely is not on the way out as a counter top.  Some of the colors available may be unpopular at the moment but there are dozens to choose from.  The engineered quartz also comes in a variety of colors but nothing to match the variety of granite.  As far functionality and price go they can be very close.  Granite is heat resistant and engineered quartz isn't but the quartz is stain resistant which is something most granites are not. 

If I recall correctly quartz surfaces cannot be refinished so it is very durable but once the finish is worn, it's worn.  Granite requires regular sealing but it is pretty easy to do so.

I personally prefer the figured granites that are less homogeneous.  Unique is less likely to look 'dated'.  I also find that mixing up the countertop height and surface makes for a visually interesting kitchen.  Built in butcher block cutting areas can be a great addition.

Best of luck,
Ethan

Caesarstone Quartz is the new trend here in Malibu, Hollywood and the like ..... Just saw a house with it today just north of the Sunset Strip...new construction, custom kitchen. ....

Granite will give you more bang for your buck. Natural stone... easy to maintain but for the money, the look is definitely the best. Updating to get more for your money, go for granite!

Quartz is better.  If granite cracks you can only caulk it, quartz can be repaired! 

Profile picture for jimij15
i think consumer reports likes quartz better, I also think it's more durable. and I personally think I like it better- because i think it has a more consistent pattern.

Profile picture for AlexShek

Go with what you like most. Both, granite and quartz, are easy to maintain. Every piece of granite is unique and it makes it attractive to many people.

If you are planning to stay in your home for 5-7 years or more, select something you will enjoy, don't worry about the people who may buy your house.

If your time horizon is less than 5 years in this house, granite is still going to be popular, I think.

Both are hard surfaces that work well, yet quartz requires no maintenance to keep it's shine and good looks. Harder than granite, it's a very sturdy countertop. Granite requires maintenance periodically and also stains; stains can usually be removed with a packaged product, "poultice".  Granites are more unique and often one of a kind. Price can influence choices, but both will hold their great looks for years, and with proper care and upkeep will look wonderful for many years, too.

If you want to minimize upkeep, quartz is your choice!  All brands are very good; most of my clients choose based on colors.

wetdawgs question is key.  If you are remodeling and plan to be in your home for several years, get what you want and can afford.  There is no way to be certain what will be 'in' in five or ten years.  So, don't worry about it.  Just get what you will enjoy.  If, on the other hand, you are remodeling to sell, follow Edmund's chart.  If you are about to sell, don't over improve.  The better the counter top, the faster the probable sale.  But you are very unlikely to get 100% return on the investment.  So, aim for good enough.

Whatever you do,
Read all of the instructions about maintaining the counter top, then follow those instructions. 
And, choose neutral colors.  If you like the look, go dramatic like Ethan says.  But stay in the brown, cream, black, white, grey, taupe range.  Purple, yellow, orange, bright green are deeply personal.  Don't select them unless you will be able to replace the counter top when the time comes to sell. 

Profile picture for edmundchoi
Depending on your property's price point, I'd recommend the following:
- entry level: solid surface/Corian
- mid-market: Corian/granite
- luxury: granite/quartz/silestone

Granite, Quartz, any type of hard stone surface makes for an excellent countertop in your kitchen.  Granite is by no means on the way out and represents the #1 countertop I have been installing in my projects in the past few years.  I would only say to stay away from Silestone, I have seen it fail in many kitchens and don't recommend it to anyone.  Silestone was big into the idea that the kitchen sink is formed as part of the countertop so you can just wipe things directly off the countertop into the sink.  However, I have seen it almost have a shattered look like glass in the bottom of many of silestone sinks.  Do some research between the benefits of different forms of stone for your countertops, but they are all excellent products and really it comes down to the look, color, and texture that you like.

What do you like?   Are you redoing the kitchen for you or for potential resale?

Profile picture for jean214
I believe granite is a fad, albeit a long-lived one, and I doubt that one in 100 homeowners seal their granite countertop as they should.
jean214