Remote seller signing of closing papers.

The buyers funding was delayed 7 days.  I was present and available on the original scheduled closing day.  But now I am 250 miles away at a new job.  Broker recommends they email me the papers to sign and I overnite send them back.  Do I need a lawyer or title company to adivse me while signing the papers (at my expense)?  I know a notary is required but I can use my Chase Bank.  Am I entitled to any extra compensation for the delay (another $500 in mortgage payments)?
  • July 08 2012 - Dallas
  • 0

Profile picture for Connie Klemme
You can typically just do it overnight with a notary.  But if you want advice from an attorney or title company then by all means go get it.  Some title companies will do a courtesy closing at alternate locations for no charge so look and see if your selected title company has a location near where you will be.  I have bought and sold property remotely and just gone into my credit union for the notary to do the papers.  Once we used a gas station notary.   The diffference is ...I didn't feel I needed any explanation of anything.  so it's really up to you.

The title company SHOULD make themselves available to answer questions by phone if you have them (preferrably in ONE phone call not many)- so call the title company and ask all your questions after you review papers.  You may want to do that, then find a notary, send papers in and call it good.   

as for entitled to a fee for the delay.   only if the contract has some language in it to that effect.(so ask someone to review your contract with you and provide feedback on whether or not that is an option).  However the price didn't change and your pay off would go down so you'll get the principal paid back- the intrest portion of the payment is gone but the principal that you paid in reduced the payoff so that part is a wash.

hope that makes sense.

the only drawback of going to an attorney at your expense is whether or not that expense has to be documented on the closing paperwork which would mean the docs have to be modified which might cause another day delay.  I'm having a hard time deciding if that's a real issue and would call the title company and ask before I did this.

We've signed papers from a distance in the past (more than once).   What we've done is review the papers first, then if we have questions telephone the closing person in the home town. 

Are you entitled to compensation for delay?  Only if you negotiated it up front.

Congratulations on your sale.

Profile picture for Connie Klemme

just commenting on how much more consice WetDawgs was!!!
that's what I am saying with a whole bunch of extra words.  :)

Check with the title company you had chosen earlier and see if they have reciprocal affiliation with another title company close to where you are now.  If you feel you need assistance,  by all means get a title company to assist you.  As far as compensation for the delays.....I am not too sure about that, you can try, but are you going to succeed...? 

Thanks for the chuckle Connie!   

My professors always said I used too few words.

Profile picture for Optimus012
I used sign and send, an apple Ipad app to sign the closing papers when I sold my house in May. They were sent to me by email. I didn't even have to meet the buyers.