Remove snow from the driveway and sidewalk before a showing

If you want people to get through the front door and have a wonderful first impression of your home wouldn't it be a good idea to shovel the driveway and sidewalk. Yes, one would think so. Well today in Minnesota (the state of snow) I had a showing with a 24 hour notice and we pull up to the home and there is a snowplow wall of snow that is 2ft and the driveway and sidewalk are all of a foot of snow. The buyer looks at me and asked if I would like a piggy back ride. Why you ask....because I'm wearing leather sole high heel boots and pants. Yes I do have snow boots but typically when people know you're coming wouldn't you think they would be prepared. So we shuffle through the snow and make it in with wet and cold. Needless to say the house showed fairly well.

So my point and advice to all sellers is please shovel all snow and chop all ice to best prepare your home for a wonderful first impression. Most importantly it allows the buyers to get in the front door.

• December 29 2010 - Woodbury
  • 0

I couldn't agree more. 

This should be a good reminder for all listing agents to remind their sellers to make sure the snow is clear for showings.