Profile picture for MariaMusaitef

Rent compensation to tenant during home sale.

I recently was renting a home for 2 1/2 years and have been the ideal tenant to my landlords whom I had a friendship with prior to this rental.   They served me a 60 day vacate notice due to intent to sell the house.  They left me to deal with their realtor during the entire sale process. I had to accommodate 21 days and coordinate appointments with their realtor for open houses, appts, inspections, photo shoot, appraisals, etc.  The house showed very well because I have nice furniture and design taste and always kept the house very clean.

The realtor spoke to the landlords regarding rent reduction or rent back after the sale.  The landlords acknowledged to me several times that they would be reimbursing me as well.   I am self employed so it cut into my work each day I had to accommodate them.  The owners never showed up - left me to deal with their realtor during this entire process. The house sold within that 60 days.

21 days rent prorated is $1600 and they now DO NOT want to compensate me any of it because they feel the mani/pedi gift card they gave me was sufficient.  Since they were friends to begin with and I felt everyone was communicating, I didn't get that in writing.  Do I have any recourse to recoup any of the money I paid rent for that excessive period of time I was left to deal with their realtor to help sell their home? The realtor is now MIA as well. Should I report something to her company too?  I worked with all involved honestly while having the pressure and stress of looking for a new home for myself, pack and move in that short period of time.

• August 28 2013 - Sherman Oaks
  • 0

Profile picture for RealEstateCrew
Contact a local attorney to find out what options may be available if an agreement cannot be reached. 

You didn't get in writing so it does not exist. These people are not your friends and the agent got their money so they will never respond. Filing a complaint is a waste of your time since there is no enforceable agreement.

You sound like a terrific tenant who tried to do the right thing but sometimes naughty people take advantage of your extra effort. Keep your heart open, but learn your lesson about keeping all business even with friends in writing and move on. 

First of all, let me disclose that I AM NOT AN ATTORNEY AND THEREFORE WILL NOT GIVE LEGAL ADVICE. As a Realtor I do deal with lease agreements on occasion. Some or most lease agreements that I've been a part of include a clause that talks about the "right to quiet enjoyment". You may want to consult an attorney and ask if your "right to quiet enjoyment" during the sales, showing, and escrow was disturbed. Also, for other tenants that go through this process, it's always a good thing to correspond in a written manner and receive all offers of compensation or agreements in writing. Hope you're able to work it out successfully!

You may want to check with the LA housing dept. That would be the best place to start.

Well, gee . . . 

There's no "right" answer here, Maria.

People are funny and they act strangely sometimes. Just because someone is a landlord doesn't mean that they have corporate-level communication skills. They probably felt weird after giving you notice and emotionally checked out, but we don't really know.

So, what's "fair?" I don't know. Only an attorney could advise you as to your legal options, and anything else is really a matter of asking and / or nagging for some relief.

Without agreements in writing, protection is basically nothing.   Don't hesitate to contact an attorney.

A landlord has a right to sell their home while they have a tenant.  The tenant only has to provide access  with 24+ h notice with a lock box.  The tenant doesn't have to tidy nor leave, but also doesn't have to be there.  It sounds as if you made the choice to go above and beyond.  21 full 8 h days?     I'd be a bit annoyed also because I tend to bend over backwards for people, but I'd have had all agreements in writing even if my favorite cousin was the landlord!   I'd chalk  it up to life's lessons.

What type of a lease do you have and what's specifically mentioned in your rental agreement regarding "Entry" to the premises?