Rental Owners: What are your biggest complaints about the property management industry? If you mana

Rental Owners: What are your biggest complaints about the property management industry? If you managed rentals what would you do differently?

[edited by Zillow moderator to remove contact information.]
  • March 24 2011 - US
  • 0

Profile picture for UpNorthAgent
Care and Communication are Key's to this business.  Normally it is a balancing act not to get to big and you loose control again..lost care and communication. It does not take a lot to stand out above the crowd..most owners don't expect alot..if you raise the bar you are ahead of the game. DIffucult business for most, that is why people shy away from it. 

Thanks, Nancy!

Hi Chris,

We email the newsletters and also provide a pdf to the client. I will try to figure out how to send you an attachment.

Nancy Jackson
Broker-Owner
Salefish Properties

@njackson:
I like your idea of monthly newsletters. Do you do it online, if so, could you be so kind as to shoot me a url (through my zillow profile) to a sample? Thanks!

I am an investor and also a professional property manager.  Because I wear both hats, I think it makes me more sensitive to clients needs and desires when caring for their property.  I try to respond quickly to clients who have questions or need information.  I try to keep in touch via monthly newsletters and provide positive feedback about their property/tenant or the real estate market - not just contacting them when there is bad news. I also try to match our services to what the client wants/needs.

The biggest complaint we had when we were outsourcing our management was the PM's were not responsive. Not to our phone calls or emails, not to our tenants' phone calls and emails, and not to HOA and bill notices.  We ended up suing one because they left an HOA fine notice for weeds left unresponded to, which cost thousands of dollars in extra fines. That's when we started doing it ourselves, and subsequently my husband/business partner also started his own PM business for our investor clients. We aren't in the PM business any more (thankless, payless job) but I'm sure there are some good ones out there, and they are worth their weight in gold to the home owner.