Profile picture for Jamalbi

Rentals that say yes to small dogs but no to large. Why?

I wonder why so many places will rent to people with small dogs and not large ones. I find that very peculiar. I have had rentals before and the most complaints I got from neighbors was about small dogs yapping and being aggressive, Makes no sense to me that they rent to small dogs but deny large ones. If the dog is well behaved and house trained, it shouldn't matter,
  • July 05 2012 - Staten Island

As dog owners, we found that having the Canine Good Citizenship certificate helped bend the rules about size somewhat.   As a landlord, we request the CGC documentation.   We don't discriminate against size or breed, we do discriminate against behavior.      Pet ownership isn't a protected category for housing,  so the better ambassadors help considerably.  Unfortunately there are many bad pet owners.  

Profile picture for blue screen exile
Why don't you just ask the specific landlords?  I'm sure they have their reasons, and I'm sure it is related to their costs somehow.

On the other hand, you could just buy some properties and rent them out with the provisions you like.

(There also may be local code issues or home owner association issues).