Profile picture for tuttabel

Renting in Eugene

Anyone have recommendations for nice neighborhoods to live in for a young couple without kids that likes to go out a night in Eugene, OR? 
  • February 03 2010 - Eugene

Profile picture for tuttabel
Thank you again for all the info, I really appreciate it!

Here is a map of the Eugene neighborhoods. If you are going to be at the University, I would check out Amazon #13 on the map, the front of the Fairmont neighborhood #14 and Laurel Valley #15. All are nice and they are all close to campus without being student ghettos.

Amazon is little cottage houses and there are quite a few students mixed in with families, but it is not party central if you know what I mean--some younger families, some grad students, mostly juniors and seniors. It is cute, walkable bikeable to shopping (Albertson's) and the University. Rents are pretty reasonable and there are usually units for rent when I visit.

The front of Fairmount also is nice walkable, mostly younger and very friendly. See if anything is available for rent on the "straight" streets Villard, Walnut, Orchard. The front of the neighborhood is younger than the back and it is also closer to shopping and services. Again not party central, but they do have a party or two from what I hear at the beginning and end of the school year that are casual and not ongoing or rowdy.

Laurel Valley is more country and has more grad students and mid age families. Very peaceful, reasonable rents but the hill in between that neighborhood and the campus areas can become a pain over time. especially if you want to walk or bike in so you should consider the functional distance less than the distance on the map.

You can go farther away from the University, but you really don't save much on rent unless you go pretty far out. UO is very bike friendly campus and if you pick a close neighborhood you can even walk to the store or restaurants if you want. Hope the info helps. If you have more questions just ask.

Profile picture for tuttabel
If I get the job I would be working for the University of Oregon.  I am in my late 20's and have a serious girlfriend.  We currently live in a metropolitan city.  I do know that Eugene is best known for being a college town.  I think we would like to live somewhere where there is a younger crowd that like to go out and socialize but not necessarily live where all the students do if that makes sense.  Any additional advice would be appreciated, I am going down to Eugene next week and wanted to check out any neighborhoods that people would recommend.  Thanks again Sunnyview, you rock!

I may able able to give some recommendations since I have family/friends in Eugene. Tell me more what you are looking for in the feel of where you live. Do you like grad students, hippies, button down professionals, country folk? Do you want to rent a house or an apartment? 

As near as I can tell, the nightlife in Eugene is mostly driven by folks from campus so 18-25. There are nice restaurants/clubs all over town for folks that like music, dancing etc. that lean a little older like 35-45. Eugene is not too spread out so if you stay on the east side of Willamette and stay below about 39th ave every place is close to you.