Profile picture for GavinJackson

Renting when you owe money to landlord?

I broke my lease after my mom passed away and now I owe money to a previous landloard and am having issues finding a place. I would appreciate some advice on how to get a place after this.  Thanks
  • June 26 2013 - Tucson
  • 0

Have you considered paying the previous landlord for the money you owe?   It is probably better to do so now and clear the record rather than ending up in small claims court. 

Sincere condolences for the loss of your mother.

Hello Gavin,

That is a great question!  I have a few pieces of advice:

1.  Be up front about all of this when filling out an application.  Tell the next landlord in advance.  They will appreciate your honesty.
2.  Try to offer additional rent up front (if you have the ability).  This will show your good faith.
3.  Include a letter or 2 of reference instead of just listing references.
4.  Provide all of your pay stubs, employment letters, etc. up front and try to stand out above any other tenants.

You really have to try it all in this fast past market! 

Best wishes,

Michael "Super Mike" Minervini

[deleted by Zillow moderator. Please see our Good Neighbor Policy for posting guidelines]

Profile picture for GavinJackson
Thank you for your answers. I was always on time with my rent over 5 years of living there. He has turned me over to collections, but I know him and will talk to him to see if he will help me in anyway.

My experience in property management (in VA- which may differ from your state) is that the  prospective landlord may request the past landlord to verify the amount of rent you were paying, your history of late payments and if you paid until the end of the lease. 

Did your landlord file a judgement against you? Check your credit report if you are not sure.

You may be able to overcome this with some landlords by providing a double security deposit.

You could also try to find a property owner who isn't using a management company to rent directly to you.  Sometimes, they may not fully check references or credit and may be more willing to work with you.

A simple explanation should be enough if it even comes up. Most landlords understand that stuff like this happens. Also in some states landlords can not give perspective landlords negative feedback on a tenant. I would be more concerned with the previous landlord taking legal action or possibly sending you a 1099. Good luck

Dear Gavin:

You may want a to whom it may concern letter for new landlords explaining the circumstances with the family issues. If this does not help you may want to increase your move in deposits to first and last months rent. Also, you should settle with the previous landlord as the new landlord will most likely check.