Repairs not done by licensed contractor as agreed

In the agreement of sale, the seller agreed to repair or replace several items with the stipulation that a professional be used and receipts be provided.  They said the garbage disposal was fixed and it did run for a few seconds during the walk through.  But when I used it for the 1st time after the sale (a few pieces of lettuce), it jammed and is leaking all over the place. I cannot even use the sink now because anytime I run water, it comes straight out the bottom of the disposal, even when it is not running (which it can't anyway, because it is jammed). I contacted both agents and my agent tells me the guy fixed it himself so that is why there was no receipt. And he says, due to some Delaware law, the seller had the right to fix it. I get that, but I did not think a do-it-yourself job was acceptable (contract says "replaced/repaired by a licensed contractor). I am being told I have no recourse. Is this right?
  • December 26 2013 - US
  • 0

Profile picture for Outer Banks N C
This is the USA where you can always sue anyone for any reason what so ever, the question is will you win or not. There will be a lawyer out there willing to bill you for the attempt.

Your options are:

1. sue - but you will still need to do the next steps too

2. call a plumber or handyman to fix it

3. fix it yourself, drain and garbage disposals are not rocket science.

good luck.

tim

Before closing, you had an obligation to obtain the receipts and ensure that repairs were done completely.   Apparently you thought repairs were okay at your walk through and signed off, so now it is "welcome to home ownership". 

What does it take to replace a garbage disposal?   A trip to Home Depot, a few tools and a bit of patience.  Most people will be done in an hour or two if they've not done it before.    If you aren't comfortable doing this yourself, call your best buddy, or a plumber.

Welcome to homeownership.

I suppose you can sue - and win - in small claims court, but is it worth your time ?