Profile picture for Ready2ownmyhome

Replace walk in closet with bathroom and build mini walkin closet behind door

I'm a single mother on a budget. I have placed an offer on a town home that I have falling in love with yet would like to change two things. The master bedroom is a very nice size with a box walk in closet. The closet wall is on the back of the full bathroom in the hall and laundry room in the hall way. So I would like to make this closet a full bathroom and place a mini walk in closet behind the bedroom door. I definitely don't want the closet any larger so that I will have more room with in my room if that makes sense. I live in the PG county Maryland area. I wonder if this would cost me more then 6k? I don't want anything super fancy. Just standard. Any advice would be great.    
  • August 16 2013 - Suitland-Silver Hill

Profile picture for edboner
I would suggest a quick look at Zillow Digs.  Nice place to see remodel projects with pricing as you see...even with prices for the renovation across the country.  www.zillow.com/digs

My second suggestion is to consider the measurement of the closet.  Be sure the closet area is big enough to fit a bathroom  and entry per code.  In this part of the country, the cost of a modest remodel might be closer to $5 to 8,000...but then impact or permitting will increase the cost.   You might also find a contractor willing to let you work as labor on your project for a reduction in cost.

Good luck.

The materials for a full bathroom would probably run in the neighborhood of 3000. to 3700.00  Good value for your money is Americast Bathtub check it out at lowes. think it is called 'The Prinston' I use them in a lot of bathrooms needing soaker tubs. And look great with ceramics...don't use the plastic surrounds...spend the extra money here. 300.00+

Check out the porcelain tile while you are there, here is where you can add
a high dollar look on a budget. Make your field tiles the lower cost ones (under 2.00 sq.) then mix the accents ( higher dollar ones) accent borders or just a random throw in the mix and create a design within the shower wall and floor specially where you will have the vanity. You can also create a tile rug by using a different field tile and border with the accents...but only if you have the floor space. 400.00+

Vanity is usually the high cost but you can look at a few RTA ones, they are made of better materials than any other ones you'll find at a box store and you can top them off with a mid range top/sink. 600.00+

The rest of the budget will be used for concrete bd., lighting, vent, mirror and extras.

You can also add some usable interest by selecting areas within your design by using the wall cavities and inserting custom shelves with wood doors and sliding them between the studding, there're not deep but are very usable and look custom....which I guess they are and can be built for 100.

Feel free to check out my web site for some design ideas and see some of the items I mentioned.

The total budget would probably run you more than the 6K because of the labor .
Expect to spend 10-12K on the total cause of labor costs. You have more work here than just the bathroom finishes and with the addition of the other closet and plumbing you could see estimates close to 15K.

I know that isn't what you wanted to hear but those are pretty standard costs for licensed work.
-Joseph-