Profile picture for mbabe

Replacement Windows

Anyone have experience of Pella, Harvey, Andersen, and/or Advanced Windows Systems? I'm getting quotes to replace 14 windows in my house (one of them picture window) and am getting the typical sales rap. Also, anyone ever get a quote for 14 regular windows for $41,000?! My eyes jumped out of my head.............

• August 03 2008 - US

Profile picture for WoodyWW

I can presently buy the windows for $50/each from Pella because they have a huge sale!

Is that thru Pella directly? Do you have a link to the site? IMO Pella & Anderson are the highest quality. $50???? What size? Vinyl, wood, low-E? That's an insane price.

If I were you, I'd be all over that. But make sure you know how to measure correctly to order the size. Just buy the windows! And get quotes/interview installers separately.....

Heck, my house has so many problems, replacement windows are way down on the list. But for that price, I'd look into it......

Profile picture for Webster3

My in-laws recently replaced all 49 of their windows in their 1989 home and paid $11,500. That was for the sash only but maybe your frames are still in good shape. That price was for 49 windows stained to match the trim and installed.

(approx. $235/window)

Mbabe: you wrote:  "BTW If I was a guy I'd install them myself. But unfortunately (never thought the day ...."   

We're not sexist here.   There is no reason a female is unable to replace windows.  It is not something that takes a Y chromosome.

I have inspected over 4600 homes in the Cincinnati tri-state area. I have seen windows a day old to several years old and the window that is by far the best on the market is Andersen. They rarely show up in my reports as being defective.  I know they are not cheap but you get what you pay for.

I alway recommend going the quality route, but also keep thing in perspective. Heres my thinking. If you are planning a long stay at this house, then buy quality. If your like the national average and move evry 5-6 years then consider a less expensive window. It doesnt make sence to me to buy for life only to turn around and sell it to someone in a few years. They become the one who benefits from your quality purchase. As for Pella- not worth the headaches. I write them up all the time. Dont just buy a name.

Profile picture for mbabe

Thank you. Interesting about the Pella because in this neck of the woods (MA) they're regarded as the windows.

Profile picture for WoodyWW

Does Schuerman or anyone else know anything about harvey windows or storm doors? Here in MA they seem to be used a lot for "budget" renovations (like on a cheapo, $400K-ish house, right :-(, instead of maybe Anderson. Harvey has an e-mail form on their site so you can request a list of contractors.

http://www.harveyind.com/

My one experience with a replacement window is with an Anderson that's about 15 y.o. Still works great, no problems that I can see. But was before they had all those tilting features so you can clean the outside from the inside, etc.

Profile picture for mbabe

I'm checking out Harvey Industries right now - they seem the best actually, cross between good price and quality

Profile picture for Oaktownshark

Holy cow! I thought $10k was alot to replace all of our windows! We looked at Andersen when we started but heard that they were really expensive. When I asked our contractor how much he said it would probably cost double which is still 1/2 the price of what you're saying for about the same amount of windows. 14 windows @ 40k is $2857 per window which I'm assuming includes installation. That sounds like robbery to me unless these are some really big windows.

For that much cash I would get at least 4-5 quotes - we only got 3 for our replacement but it was 1/4 the price of yours. Look online too. We were able to buy ours at a discount from a wholesaler: http://www.thewindowstore.com which saved us several hundred dollars. Make sure your contactor is licensed and insured. If you can't find any contactros through referrals check out http://www.craigslist.org

Profile picture for curiousm

I had double pane put in a long time ago in a house I used to own. It was $25 installed per window.

Profile picture for webedz

Lowes was running a special when we purchased our new construction windows which were a bit more than replacement.  Our family room has four 44 x 38 windows.  Special order less than $240 and Lowe's had $99 per window installed special going.

Profile picture for jeffvivi

Having 18 windows installed (Milgard Fiberglass, dual pane/low-e, all but 2 are single-hung, a couple w/tempered glass).  Windows and all labor is ~$10,500.  Didn't want vinyl, so spent a little extra for the fiberglass, hopefully they'll add some value to the house.  We're in the West Los Angeles area.

Have you tried a Lowes or Home Depot? They are usually pretty reasonable as far as install fee's plus you can use credit card's & make payment's.

One sell's Pella the other is Anderson so you get quality for "cheap" plus they are reputable & they have a warranty. All "Bases" covered 

Profile picture for unxpurg8d

Where in the world is the Pella window sale for $50????  I want to replace about 30 windows. 

lowes has pella therma windows from pella for under 200$ if you go with top brand pella, then you will pay over 500$ per window..As far as the install, a good contractor should not charge you more than 100$ per window to install..if he/she knows what they are doing, it should take the less than 45 min each window to install...Stay away from those highend company that tack on 500% to the window and labor...Trust me, it is not that hard to install a replacement window.

Profile picture for LEPSOH

We did consult with Home Depot and the window we bought was great around $600.  They provided a contractor and knew what the contractor would charge.  It is installed and looks and functions well.  The contractor did a poor job but Home Depot had the will to require a perfect installation and the contractor brought out a man that knew what to do and did it right.  It always takes some supervising. 

Profile picture for SalsaDancer

I have 4 wood casement windows (open with a hand crank) - that I would like to replace the just the glass with dual pane with a better energy rating.  The windows have the original single pane glass from when the house was built in 1939

I don't want to replace the windows as their are beautiful and functional - I just want to update the pane of glass to help control heat loss/gain during the summer/winter months.

Any suggestions? Is it really hard to do yourself - or is this a job you should really hire someone who knows what he/she is doing?

I just installed 12 harvey windows the windows cost 2375.00 w/delivery,grids and low-e ,83.00 for the permit,40.00 for caulking,30.00 for insulation and 30.00 for a gallon of paint I say go with the harvey windows they really are just as good as anderson, pella or marvin they're local in eastern ma they have a great transferable warranty as far as the installation look in your local newspaper for a licensed carpenter you should be able to find someone to put them in for 500.00 each for materials and labor anything over that is just profit for a huge corporation dont buy replacment windows from home depot or lowes whoever told you american whatever windows from home depot were just as good as anderson does not have a clue and I'm geussing they put them in their own house and that is why they believe it but they are junk you get what you pay for just don't pay $41,000 for it

where can you buy pella windows for $ 50.00 each please let me know

Pella and Anderson have the best reputation. You can, of course, go with the $189 or $199 windows. Depends on what you want in your home. Quality? Inexpensive? Another factor to consider is energy efficiency and warranties. There is much information on the internet. Look around the area where you live for warehouses/showrooms that will allow you to see the windows in person and ask questions. Also try talking to someone who installs windows for a living.

Profile picture for Evalionint

The question is if you can find windows to exactly fit an old window opening or not,if you can than you are lucky and you can buy windows for a fairly unexpensive price but when you have very unusual windows to be replaced and than you order all possible extras than of course you will pay a lot.It looks like this $41,000 windows are something what you call custom made windows,everything custom made is very expensive.Maybe that's what you've ordered?

Profile picture for jmsrn159

If saving 50% of the cost of new windows (or any other renovation job) is something you wish you could do my advise is to trust your own ability to supervise the job.

I completely renovated an 1800sf disaster home for less than 40k. There wasn't anything that could be left "as is" and I saved more than 35K.

Contractors make about 30% profit on a job. Yes, they have overhead that is paid for by the profit but you have no overhead.

Start with a simple item. Maybe move a wall. Hire a handyman, throughly interview him, watch him work, see how he approaches the job and evaluate his confidence level, how well he understood your needs and impliments what you explained you wanted done. If you feel at ease with his plan go with it and see what happens. You'll see it's a lot easier to do than you thought it would be.

By the way...I am a woman in my late 60's, don't have a husband or any other friend or family member to go to for advise. If I can do it so can you.

Profile picture for Jason Frangoulis

My Advice to you is Shop Shop Shop before you buy. You will be suprised how these companies have the such diffrent prices for basically the same window. make sure you do your homework.

Profile picture for mbabe

Thank you so much, everyone, for all your very kind help :-)

I'm not a window contractor but 45 minutes per window sounds pretty near impossible to me.  There's demo.  Remove the trim.  Cut out the old window.  Pick out all the nails.  Maybe have to mess with the siding.  Then install.  Then repair any damage interior, re caulk repaint if necessary.  Pick up matching paint.  Oh, wait there's a different color in every room.  There's protecting all of the home owner's possessions from said repairs.  There's exterior rebuild, trim, caulking, flashing, siding. 

But most important of all there's the bid.  There are the advertising expenses.  The 8-10 bids you don't get because the homeowner is 'just shopping around'.   The gas to go to said bids. There is the time measuring the windows.  And getting it right.  And picking up the order and delivering it.  The vast majority of the time in the job like that is behind the scenes. 

All that said,

40000 for 14 windows is ridiculous.  New construction houses in my area, including the the land, are 230k.  Did he accidentally add a place holder where there shouldn't have been one?

Profile picture for gamestarr

Have a handyman replacing 17 windows in my rancher. total for windows plus tax is $2543.55  Labor is $1725.00  for a total of $4268.55.  Three windows are replacing my xtra large picture window which will require a lot of framing and casement  work.  All are Moss double hung vinyl low e.  First estimate from a home improvement company was for $8,000. I'm in  Va .

Profile picture for rlvarcoe

That's alot of cash for 14 windows..... I do install replacement windows and for double hung vinyl custom windows I usually charge 350-500 per window depending on the existing type and any kind of rot etc to the sills.  A clean install is usually in the 350 range.  I use a window called camelot which is a great window but only available through a contractor. 

Shop around and good luck

Ditto on the high price of window replacement. Simonton vinyl windows run about $200 - low e, double hung, grids between glass- and labor at $100 to $200 it could $50 if you do the finish work. So I am with rivarcoe on pricing. Proline wood replacent windows are about $450-great for historical work. Big outfits like sears are going to charge more because there is more people standing on the ladder.

Profile picture for Tam_Tam

I had a few windows replaced. Low-e

It was around $200-$300 a window plus installation of around $250 a window.

None of the windows were massive picture windows. 3 were around 6 feet by 6 feet and the other two smaller.

I would check into just purchasing the windows at a big box store and getting a contractor. Those guys who come around to your house saying they want to give you a quote to help you on your heating bills are scams to get you to pay way more than industry standard.

Profile picture for blacroix

In the Dallas, TX area, I just installed four Jeld-Wen "premium" vinyl dual-pane low-e windows:

48" x 52" picture window w/tempered & obscure glass = $330

24" x 36" single-hung w/obscure glass = $178

44" x 72" single-hung = $275 each (two of these)

Total with tax = $1145.

I did the installation myself, but the window place we bought them from charges $175 per window for installation, so these four windows would have cost $700 more, or $1900-ish total for 4 windows ($475/window including taxes and installation).  Therefore, if I were to get 17 windows installed, it would have cost about $8075.  Jeld Wen windows are good windows - not quite an Andersen - but considering the price difference, we can replace them again in 10 years if we have to and still be ahead of the game (and have all the energy efficiency associated with the advances in window technologies made over the next 10 years).

Brian

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3