Profile picture for mbabe

Replacement Windows

Anyone have experience of Pella, Harvey, Andersen, and/or Advanced Windows Systems? I'm getting quotes to replace 14 windows in my house (one of them picture window) and am getting the typical sales rap. Also, anyone ever get a quote for 14 regular windows for $41,000?! My eyes jumped out of my head.............

• August 03 2008 - US
  • 0

Like any major renovation you should always get 3-4 estimates. The internet is a wonderful tool to reseach any product.

there are some companies that quote silly prices.  Check out windows world franchise, choose the best quality window they offer.  The windows are vinyl with a higher R value than wood, thermopane, low e argon filled.  They remove the old and install the new and will wrap the trim in aluminum for about $300/window.  They offer a limited lifetime warranty on the glass.

Jeldwen also makes a nice fairly priced replacement window that you can buy from Home Depot that compares to the Anderson replacement window.

If you are up to it, you can buy new construction Anderson 400 series windows.  You will need to remove the exterior trim and then can relace with a pvc product like clear of azek and never have to paint again.  If you order that many windows, call a local lumberyard and get the vann price and compare it to Depot of Lowes.

There is a windows world in Marlborough - www.windowworld.com/stores/massachusetts/  Do not buy the $189 special which is nationally advertised, get the upgrade. 

Windows are easy to install if you do not want to use a vinyl window.  You need 2 people, one holds the window on the exterior and the interior person shims and levels the window.  Fasten, make sure it opens and closes before moving to the next window. 

Profile picture for mbraun888
i just replaced 8 lousy metal framed window to double paned vinly windows at a friends house.around the corner from lakewood elementry school.windows were at the most $280 for a 5'x5' fixed (picture) window.add about $30-$60 per.depending on stucco or wood trim.the extra also covers flashing,sealant,sill,etc..i billed him at $300 per window labor.so the whole thing could be done for well under $10,000.if you have any questions mbraun888@yahoo.com

Profile picture for Bretzke

Definitely that  is crazy price for windows $4,000 each?  Last year I replaced windows in my house, I checked around and Lowes was the lowest price.  I was pretty surprised.   I paid and average of $175 a window, and then I installed them myself.  For the picure window, I installed three double hung windows in a row. It changed the look of the house ( positive) and it provided me with more opening area and in the end it was a similar price as the picture window.  

My name is Jerry Volino and my company is New England Exteriors and I would be happy to give you a free estimate.  In addition, I can show you how to take advantage of the $1500 tax credit that the government is offering in the new stimulus package.  [promotion and hotlink deleted by Zillow moderator. Please see our Good Neighbor Policy for posting guidelines]  I have many referrals that you may contact.

Profile picture for gorjuicehome
where are you located? I think that cost toooo much..
I replaced 21 windows -vynil double pane with argone gas sometime in sept 2008 it cost me $7,000, i made an appointment to 5 companies for the price and quality and I chose -pro american windows  IL.(republic windows) did a GOOD job.the agent give me extra discount because he is new to the company.  

Profile picture for Randy6726
We did the whole search and had some eye popping numbers as well.  They all seem to have the "best product" and raise "issues" with the other guys product &(**^%@$!

We went with renewal by anderson and they look really good. I can send you some pictures if you want.  The whole process drove me crazy so I'd be glad to give you my advise so you don't have to go through it.

Profile picture for BungalowMo
mbabe.....Have you done this yet??  How old is your place&what is wrong with your windows you currently have?

I ask because I know a woman (in MA) who does reglazing of original wooden windows at a fraction of vinyl (yuk) replacements & they will last longer than you will...seriously.  This is her craft, it's all she does.

Done correctly, they will last 90+ years. 

Nothing in the landfill :-)

Profile picture for togetdoug

[promotion and hotlink deleted by Zillow moderator. Please see our Good Neighbor Policy for posting guidelines]

Profile picture for timmcnerney0
.

Are you people CRAZY??!

Putting replacement windows in a victorian home?  Or in ANY old home?

Replacement windows are the BIGGEST RIPOFF there is.  Take out your 200 year plus windows, put in 20 year crappy windows, pay $10,000 or more, find out your energy bill doesn't go down at all, then find out the "guarantee" only gets you $500 back on the $40,000 in damage you just did to your home.

http://replacementwindowripoff.org/
  • March 29

Profile picture for DSM39
Of course you want Anderson, at least from a marketing perspective they got me sold as "the best."  A couple of years ago Anderson was proactively canvassing my Neighborhood, north of Boston, with door knockers for the free estimates.  Having ~ 20 year old windows, new windows are high on the list for maintenance.  The estimator who showed up did all the measurements and work and such and then gave us the estimate, call it 15 - 18 windows for about 35k I think it was; so we said thanks we will think it over.  His mood changed dramatically, he began to brow beat us about having him come out to our house, and if we had them come, we knew we wanted them; it got kind of nasty, again they proactively came us.  Based on that experience alone, I would never go with Anderson, that sales interaction left me with a really bad taste....
  • September 15

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3