Profile picture for LovelyTexan

Retain wall issue? need your input ,please advise

Hi
this is my first house, no experience
I got a retain wall on my home site ..
Lot size is 60X120 and house width is 50, left only 5ft on each side of the house to the fence.
one side the retain wall come and it occupy 3 ft almost, so only 2 ft left to walk in between my fence and wall of the house.
does it matter on resale point of view?
Please advise me.. I appreciate all your comments.
Shainy.

• April 01 2008 - US
  • 0

Profile picture for Double Domes

Hello Shainy,

If I am hearing you right, it sounds like you are concerned that the narrow space on the side with the retaining wall might turn off a potential buyer?  Since the retaining wall is probably there for a good reason, and I'm thinking that removing or modifying that is not a good option, you might want to consider how to make this stretch of your lot more useable.  Is there a portion of fence that could be removed (to widen that portion? You could make this stretch into an attractive walkway.  Maybe  install gravel with inset stepping stones up that side of your property.  I have seen people make this type of long narrow space quite pretty and useful.  Picture a pathway with little surprises like wall mount outdoor art or even fountains, small outdoor sculptures, plantings etc. It could be a peaceful transition into your back yard. Hope this was helpful.

Profile picture for LovelyTexan

Thank you Double Domes,

Thanks for your reply..

yes My question is 'the narrow space on the side with the retaining wall might turn off a potential buyer?'

and  from your explanation what I understad is 'its not an big issue having narrow side one side'.

Profile picture for . . .

Actually, I'm surprised they got a building permit with such little clearance.

On the other hand, there are parts of Pasadena that are required to be built lot-line to lot-line.  But still there must be an approprate path to get to a public right of way from the rear exits.