Reviews that are not reviews.....

I recieved a "review" from someone I never had contact with.  A negative review about my "negotiation skills".  He clearly admits he hasn't met me and yet he was allowed to post a bogus review????  He has a chip on his shoulder about realtors.  I expect professionalism and honesty from this site.

December 05 2011 - Del Mar

The reviewer claims that you initiated a phone call.    If that is not true (perhaps the reviewer mixed up names), then you can flag the review for reexamination by the Zillow moderators.  However, if you did call the reviewer and did comment on staging, then the review is a matter of perception. 

You can post a rebuttal associated with the review.  Be  factual.   Phrases such as "chip on the shoulder about Realtors" would not reflect well professionally.    

Thank you!  I haven't figured out how to post a rebuttal. .  If you read the review he comments on 'realtors being arrogant and so forth.' 

So, here are the facts.  He scored my 'negotiation' skills.  I have never been involved in any transaction with this man.  I don't have a clue who he is.

Reviews are supposed to be factural.  I am not so naive to believe that some are not.  But a negative review is slander, and unless you have a contractual relationship with an agent that resulted in a negative experience it is down right, unprofessional.

Finally, most agents are hard working honest people like myself.
We work long hours to provide clients with good homes.  There is much more to selling a home than putting a listing on the mls. 

Please remember that the posts you put on the advice section remain for posterity for the public to read.

I am not a Zillow employee, but a member of the public.  Recently I've interviewed some potential listing agents.  Frankly, I've been horrified at some of the things that some of them have said without seeing the property.  I wish there were more honest reviews on Zillow.    I appreciate the reviewer's comments. 

Profile picture for Dunes ..
You called Him...At Home...To Sell your Services..You made a Sales Pitch
He did not appreciate a stranger calling him at his home to make a Sales Pitch..

NEWS FLASH..People don't like to be called by Real Estate Agents they do not know at home who are FISHING FOR LEADS
Let's stop acting like You were doing him a favor by calling and he's rude because he didn't appreciate it

I hope any Agent I don't know who calls me fishing for a lead also gets a Bad Review.....in fact because I've been inspired they will

Profile picture for hpvanc
If all reviews are positive, the review system will have no value what so ever.  Since negative reviews according to you amount to slander, perhaps it is time Zillow scraps the badly misguided review feature.  It seems that agents won't accept a review system in any form that has value to the public and thus to Zillow users.  As such it has no value to the advertisers that support Zillow.

Judging from the review, I'd say you need to re-think your marketing approach and hone your negotiation skills.

Cold calling may turn up a lead, but what good is that to you and every other REA if you PO 99% of the people you contact just to get that one lead?

"That's what you think" (whether paraphrased or not) is not exactly a winning - nor cogent - argument when trying to win over a consumer to employ your services.

Profile picture for hpvanc
I just reread your posts.  It sounds like you did call the reviewer and they refused to enter a contractual relationship with you, is this correct?

Did you check to see if they were on the "Do Not Call List" that is probably going to be a very good clue as to whether they will welcome your solicitation or not?  Do you make a habit of calling all expired and withdrawn listings and try very hard not to take NO for an answer, sounds like you did with this one?

Profile picture for Lou Morejohn
On Nov. 25 I gave Shelley Linde a poor review for negotiation skills. On Dec. 5, I rec'd a Zillow email correspondence from Shelley Linde as follows (bold-face print):

Hi lou, I am sorry your so bitter. Reviews are for clients, I dont know you. It is rude to post negative remarks no matter how much you dislike realtors.

My response is as follows:
The current By-Laws of the California Board of Realtors (CAR) allow an agent to contact the Seller of an Open Listing for the purpose of soliciting an exclusive listing contract, because none exists between the Seller and another realtor. Thus, CAR-licensed agents may "cold-call" a Seller of an Open Listing for the purpose of negotiation of an exclusive listing contract on that particular property.
However, when Ms. Linde called me as a Prudential agent to solicit my listing, I explained that I was selling the home myself and that I had great success doing this previously. Instead of accepting my explanation, she told me that my home was not staged. I replied that it was. Despite never having met me, or having been in my home, she said "That's what you think."

It is my opinion that this statement shows poor "negotiation" skills for an exclusive listing and a certain arrogance held by some Realtors, who feel an entitlement to the private real estate business of others. I have been called by 3 other local agents for the same purpose of soliciting my listing, but none has received a negative review from me.
Five personal friends of mine are successful Realtors in California, Oregon, Idaho and Hawai'i. Over the years we have had many great discussions, and they have given me excellent and competent advice, because they know my track record of selling my homes for >$2.7M. They also seek my advice in real estate development. They also have reviewed my various homes' staging in person and given rave reviews. None of my Realtor friends has solicited my listing, as they respect my ability and work. In summary, no Realtor can expect to successfully negotiate a listing by dropping bombs on a Seller's work. Instead, a Realtor should be sensitive to the Seller's needs, use a great deal of savvy and tactfulness and then respectfully bow out if unsuccessful.

Lastly, but not unimportantly, all written correspondence should employ correct spelling, grammar and use. For example, the first letter of a proper noun should be capitalized ("Lou" instead of "lou"), the possessive pronoun "your" should not be confused with the noun/infinitive contraction "you're" (you are), and the infinitive contraction "don't" ("do not") always requires an apostrophe.

Negotiations take place all the time, not just in the transaction. When a sales person contacts me, they negotiate to stay on the phone, or get information, an email address, whatever, it's all a negotiation. This person didn't think highly of your negotiation skills. It's just one review. Anyone who cold calls people know they are P'ing off most of the people who aren't interested. That's the numbers part of the numbers game. You get mostly no's and hope for one or two yeses. It isn't slander if he didn't think much of how you handled the call. Owners get bombarded with calls when their listing expires or they take it off the market, which is why I don't do it. Just count on them not being happy to hear from you, or find another way to generate business.

@Lou:  In my humble opinion, you did the right thing posting your review.

Ms Linde may disagree, but we consumers need the sort of information you provided.  Thanks for taking the time to submit the review.

Sincerely,  a consumer.

Lou:

Thank you for posting more information. It is always nice to have consumers come to a thread with a detailed explanation. I am often shocked at how many posts are full of errors. I'm certain over my 2,800+ posts I have had errors here and there. However, if an agent cannot make it through a simple communication without noticing many, many errors, I would have a hard time trusting them to carefully look over a contract.

A good reminder to the agents on here to do a once-over on posts and take advantage of the edit button.

I found it interesting to look at this thread after the reviewer gave an accounting of why they gave the review they did. That reasoning was not interesting. The fact the agent involved closed their account and never rebutted what was stated was convincing enough to say the reviewer was most likely right in their assessment.

I am truly sorry that people jump to conclusions and assumptions without knowing all the facts.  Those who respond to posts don't know what I said or did or anything about me.  If your interested in communicating with me please do so directly.  What is disrespectful is to bounce around remarks about me or anyone else just for the sake of a debate. 
I wish you all well in your endeavors!
PS Not that anyone needs to know, however I left this line of communication because of a very sick child, despite the false assumption that I just decided to bail.  I don't have time for negativity in my life so I choose not to engage.

Have a good summer!

I just had an Extremely Horrible Experience with this Linde lady...oops...not a lady with the words and Threats she used towards me, for no reason, and caused my office girl to cry, yelling and threatening her! I know that the realtors are starving, but who caused people to buy homes they couldn't afford and pushed them into them, so they could make their almighty millions, and live a life that they truly do not deserve, for "Showing a House"! The Realtors! They do not do the work in selling a house, except to put a skirt on and makeup, and act like they are holier than thou!??? The mortgage companies and those who actually fill out all the loan paperwork do all the work, and these nasty, greedy realtors take all the money, for doing virtually Nothing! It is time we recognize this people, and stop allowing these realtors to get paid for no work! They destroyed our economy, forcing people to buy homes they didn't qualify for, couldn't afford, and then they have the gall to keep pushing themselves on people, like this post is about....and this Linde woman is all about, as I just found out first hand! She is THE MOST rude, vile and despicable human being I have ever done business with! She needs to smell the coffee, and the Reality of Life! She seems, by the way she treated me verbally and with her unfounded threats, like she thinks it is all about her! Sorry Linde, you need to wake up and lose those millions you did no work for, and start gaining respect from people, through treating them the way you would want to be treated, which seems to be the opposite from the way it appears you treat others, and definitely the way you treated me with such vile and threatening words, and my office girl you made cry with those same vile words! No one should ever have to deal with your abuse and vile mouth...No One! I had the opportunity to deal with her husband, and what a great man and such a gentleman...poor guy! My advice to anyone who runs into this vile woman, who has an extremely vicious manner about her, as well as being extremely over-reactive, is to choose someone else...quick! She called me and it appeared to me, she was slurrying her words...which just blew me away, as she continued her irrationally charged rant and rave at me....I hung up! Watch out people....she might look half decent in a pic, fdor her age, but underneath all that makeup, my experience is the same as is posted here....she is one to stay away from!

One other thing.... it appears she is telling different people different things... the information she shared with me, was that her children were "Grown" and out on their own, then I read in one of the posts here, from a year ago, that her "child was sick"...which is it linde?? One needs to keep their story straight, or you sound like a used car salesman, or possibly a Realtor???
Food for thought, all...

Reviews that are not reviews.....
Latest reply by user37007647

1. 3265 Lower Ridge Rd, San Diego, CA Home For Sale
    3265 Lower Ridge Rd, San Diego, CA 92130

2. 12488 Worsch Dr, San Diego, CA Home For Sale
    12488 Worsch Dr, San Diego, CA 92130

For Sale: $1,029,900

3. 12370 Carmel Country Rd # E 110, San Diego, CA Home For Sale
    12370 Carmel Country Rd # E 110, San Diego, CA 92130