Room number is different

Hi, I bought the house for 3623 Kendra Way, San Jose, CA 95130 last year. However, I check zillow web site and it shows 6 rooms. But I saw only 4 rooms. I asked my agent if there is permit to build second floor and she said yes that time. I wonder if this is due to zillow not updated or there was no permit.

September 25 2013 - West San Jose

When I inherited my home this year the county records stated that the property was 1000 sq ft. It is actually 2500 square feet. I went to the assessors office and worked with them to show that most of the sq footage was original. In the 60's before the county was issuing permits or kept close records my parents excavated the basement to add an additional 400 sq ft. These days that property would not pass code. The assessors office worked with me to change the property profile and I got all the sq ft that is here. Now I can go to the city of Los Gatos in order to get permits for further work and not get charged more on the taxes

I am only discussing my case because I can not technically say what the assessors office will do for you and your home. It is worthwhile to make an inquiry based on my case

From the Google street views, that second floor doesn't look like something that would have been done without permit.  Of course, the biggest issue is whether the footing is adequate for a second floor.

If the county records shows 6 bedrooms, and that is what Zillow shows from the county records, and you are not seeing 6 bedrooms, likely the permit was to add 2 bedrooms upstairs, but the construction may have been done slightly different and you ended up with fewer bedrooms; possibly one is being used as a den or family room?  Or perhaps one master bedroom was constructed instead of two smaller bedrooms?

However, the county records (according to Zillow) is indicating that the last revision to the property was in 1960 when built, thus that 2nd floor may have always existed.  (But the photos make it look like a remodel).  If there were 6 bedrooms when built, and only 4 bedrooms now, either walls were removed, or rooms were "re-purposed".

If the MLS listing states there are only 4 bedrooms, and you only saw 4 bedrooms, and you only have 4 bedrooms, then you may want to contact the county to revise their records; but it is unlikely to change your tax base as the square footage isn't changing.

On MLS, you have 7 rooms (4 beds, 3 bath) and on your property detail record, you are being billed for 9 total rooms (6 beds, 3 bath) by the city.  If you don't have 6 beds, then perhaps you should have the city correct this.  Hope this helps.